Planning US trip

Planning ahead for a US trip in October, I'm wondering how I can add US maps to my UK Oregon ?

Is it as 'simple' as loading up a microSD card with the Open maps ? or will I have to overwrite/unload my UK basemap ?

All advice gratefully received, before I have any accidents <_<

From what I recall the US Topo maps (with topo detail but not routing data) are relatively cheap. Something like City Navigator is also fairly cheap - I haven't used it since v7 which had routing data but no topo data.

Depending on where you're going check the maps are up to standard. My (dated) US Topo maps had a few omissions which were quite startling, like the main road running over some mountains which has been there for 15 years that I know of, and when I saw a major road that wasn't on my map I was quite shocked to realise it was the interstate.

The 1:24k topo maps look like they have good detail but depending on just where you're going could get expensive.

When I go to the States, I don't bother with maps, but then again, I don't use the GPS for navigating (other than caching LOL) and I'm generally in a city!

I just switch it on when I want to find a cache. TBH, I've never missed having them when I've been away, I just follow that arrow blindly - makes it more fun! :blink: