Garmin GPSmap 60Cx

magpieboy

Hi all, despite owning this unit for a couple of years...I seem to have lost a section of my memory that would help me answer this question....

I wish to use the "tracks" feature to plot out a route that I'm traveling along.... everytime I switch it to 'on' it just shows my current position with a line back to my last correctly plotted track....it does not show the route I'm actually moving along. What have I forgotten? Please help.

Don't have my unit in front of me but have you saved each individual track you have made or are you continually leaving it on without saving anything? If you leave the track feature on and don't save your track for the day or moment, I believe but am not sure, your track will be a contiuous track because it tries to connect to the previous stopping point of the track from when you had turned the unit off.

They way I use the track feature is as follows; I leave it off until I get to where I want to be and then turn it on. Once I finish my hike, I then save the track and name it. I then turn off the track feature until I plan on using it again. This way none of my tracks get mixed together.

Does this make sense. I'm typing this at the firehouse on my iPhone and it's late.

I think that what the OP might be talking about is that instead of seeing your track plotting along where you have been, a road or trail, for example, the GPS shows a STAIGHT line from where you presently are back to a prior waypoint. It's sort of like a rubberband that stays attached to you and the prior waypoint, keeping the straight line as you move around.

I see this regularly on my Oregon 400. I don't have a solution, and take it to be a bug. I usually just clear the track log to get rid of it (which the OP can't do because he want to save the track log), and the track trail goes back to normal.

OP, you might find that the track is still intact even though the display is wonky. Have you tried download a track anyway in one of those situations?

I understand what AO318 is saying, but I've had the "straight line track" NOT happen most of the time between when I've powered the unit off and on. For example, I just powered my Oregon 450 up, and I just see a short track from the last few minutes, NOT the straight line back to where I was when I last turned it off. Tracking is always turned on.

I think that what the OP might be talking about is that instead of seeing your track plotting along where you have been, a road or trail, for example, the GPS shows a STAIGHT line from where you presently are back to a prior waypoint. It's sort of like a rubberband that stays attached to you and the prior waypoint, keeping the straight line as you move around.

Yes this "rubberband" effect is what is happening...I will try to save and remove all previous tracks and see if that clears problem. Thank you everyone for the assistance so far.