Endura Out&Back and paperless geocaching problem

I just bought a Lowrance Endura Out&Back as a step up from my old Magellan Meridian, and so far I am very happy with the critter. I have version 1.4 of the firmware installed. I was eager to try out the paperless geocaching feature, so I hooked up my Out&Back and downloaded the loc files to my GPS. Once I imported the files from the MicroSD card to the GPS I went to my geocaching section and looked through the files. The files show the name of the cache and the coordinates and it is able to find those coordinates on a map, BUT it does not list difficulty ratings, descriptions, hints, trackables, etc. Those fields are simply blank.

I'm sure there is either a simple way to fix this issue or something that I have not done properly, so if anyone has any clues please let me know.

I am assuming that the only way to get the gpx files is to become a premium member and use the pocket query, which seems kind of low. I can download gpx files for free from opencaching.com, but they do not have nearly as many cache listings in this area. I can also get free gpx files of trail maps from backpacker.com. I guess if my assumption is true then I am a bit surprised that the largest geocahing site is so stingy when so many other sites are so forth coming. Don't get me wrong, I am greatful for what this site has provided free of charge, I just don't see why they would skimp on something as simple as a gpx file.

Remember Opencaching.com is still in Beta and is run by a large company which gets its money from making GPS units so the bills are paid elsewhere. Also as you mentioned there are not nearly the number of caches listed so there would be no value in buying a membership now, but that dosen't mean they will not change once they feel there is enough to be of value.

I went to check out backpacker.com because I've been looking for trail maps for our local state park.... funny thing is there maps page has no maps on it. Just a bunch of readers comments complaining that the magazines articles (their real income) keep pointing to the site to download maps, but there are none to be found.

I am often surprised geocaching.com gives away as much as they do, but they need a way to pay the bills and to hardcore cachers the GPX files are one of the most valuable things on the site. And $2.50 a month really isn't that much if you think about it, the same as 1 set of batteries for your GPS, and I've burned 4 sets in a single weekend before.

The other sites are not as good as GC.com... one by your own admission in your post, and one by simply not working. It is like the old Best Buy/Radio Shack war.... people would go to Radio Shack and complain about Best Buy being cheaper, then they would go to Best Buy and complain the employees didn't know anything about the products. Many went to RS and asked a 1000 questions about somethingonly to drive around the buy it at BB. When Radio Shack finally had no option but to cut regular training to almost nothing, reduce wages, and hire non experienced employees those same people would complain how Radio Shack went down hill even though they never bought anything from them.

There ARE maps on backpacker.com, I just downloaded three. Click on the maps section and then go to "GPS-Enhanced Trips" and there you go, both editor and reader trips show up with zero problems. You can even click on specific states to find the trips that are in your area.

As for the other bits, you're 100% correct, the other sites are not as good as this one, but they are also not nearly as old or well established. The thing is another site's short comings should not be the issue as to a particular site's content. My gripe had more to do with the fact that every other geocahing site that I went to (and there are plenty of them out there) offered free gpx files. Some were corporate sponsored, some were not.

As I said, I am truly greatful for what is offered for free on this site and I understand the need to help fund it, but I don't really see the need to make gpx files a pay for feature. It is not a huge fee to become a premium member and I may end up doing just that, but I have a difficult time ponying up the dough when the only thing I would use it for is to get gpx files that I can find else where for free (there are a lot of folks who double and even triple list their caches on multiple sites).

Edited by jabberwock_11

I am assuming that the only way to get the gpx files is to become a premium member and use the pocket query, which seems kind of low. I can download gpx files for free from opencaching.com, but they do not have nearly as many cache listings in this area. I can also get free gpx files of trail maps from backpacker.com. I guess if my assumption is true then I am a bit surprised that the largest geocahing site is so stingy when so many other sites are so forth coming. Don't get me wrong, I am greatful for what this site has provided free of charge, I just don't see why they would skimp on something as simple as a gpx file.

Maybe because they are a business and if they give everything away for free they would cease to exist and we would have nothing. The ones on opencaching and elsewhere are almost all from here. They can do it for free because they have no review process so people can do what they wish.

Premium membership has many benefits and well worth the price.

Edited by Walts Hunting