Locationless stats

The Weasel

Hi There,

Sorry if this has been brought up, but I didn't see it anywhere.

I was looking at my stats and noticed that I don't have the "souvenir" for a locationless cache I did wayyyyyy back in the day.

I was wondering if GS was reconizing these caches for souvenir's since I wasn't "physically" in that state. I noticed they don't include the state the locationales cache was in on my map page.

I guess I have a little bit of an issue that all locationless caches don't qualify.

Yeah, they were cheesy and lame, BUT they are still considered a cache and you did get a smiley for them.

They don't seem to have the ability to use the coordinates posted in your log to give you the souvenir for whatever state it was in. Before they excluded those caches you would get credit for the state where the locationless started (i.e. the coords on the top of the cache page).

This doesn't affect most people as they didn't travel to another state just for a locationless; they would have found a real geocache too, thus earning the souvenir without Groundspeak having to manipulate the database.

As I posted in the other thread, given the nature of locationless caches, it doesn't make sense to report statistics or to award souvenirs based on their locations. Or rather, if they were going to report statistics or award souvenirs for locationless caches, then they should do so based on the coordinates posted for each log, and not on the published coordinates. As Team GPSaxophone wrote, the statistics and souvenir systems don't seem to be set up to handle that. And I'm not sure adding that capability would be worth the investment of time and effort.

If locationless were still active cache types, then it might make some sense to invest the time & effort into doing something like this. But seeing they really aren't part of the game anymore, and it would be a small percentage of people that logged a locationless in a state other than their own as already pointed out, it really doesn't make sense. I'd rather see the effort go into the answer to whatever virtuals are going to become. Now if that virtual answer somehow incorporated something like locationless, then maybe it would make sense to relook at this, but right now it doesn't.