help

bowmad100

Probably best to move it altogether.

Who told you it was on RXR right-of-way? I am guessing it was the reviewer. If such is the case, you have little choice but to move it.

Railroad property is private property. Without express permission, the cache would be placed improperly. It is very doubtful that the rail company would give permission. They are extremely picky (rightfully so) about that!

Carefully reading the guidelines will help avoid these types of situations. Truth is, it is best to read them two/three times to make sure that you understand them.

Sure, it may be nice to see others discovering your cache, but I seriously doubt that you would want strangers wandering about your property/house at all hours of the day and night. It can be tiresome and invasive after a while.

Good luck.

The idea of placing a cache is to take cachers to a new or exciting place and to show them something that may be of interest. But this location must be safe, cachers on the hunt tend to only concentrate on the hunt itself. Someone wondering around and distracted by the hunt, and if the GPS signal is not good they may end up hunting too close to the tracks and end up in a mess!

Hence the ruling and the distance guide for railways and other dangerous locations.

I have found that watching the logs is better than watching for cachers, although i do keep an eye out when i am passing my caches and have caught a few.

Always better to find a nice location, you will then get thanks for bringing me here logs.

i tred to start a cach but im told im on a railroad riteway. we put it in front of the house my 10yd old want to see it. the railroad is rite next to my house the track are 50yd away from my house. should i try taking a new reading or move it to a new spot.thanks

Is it on your house's property?? If so - tell the reviewer and maybe send a photo. That clearly overrides concerns of railroad property.

Even if it is on your property it still might not get approved. If there is a physical barrier (fence) let the reviewer know. And how are cachers going to get to it? The reviewer is going to look at it from the point that someone might knowingly or unknowingly trespass on the RR property. you are going to have to prove to them it can't be done.

Even if it is on your property it still might not get approved. If there is a physical barrier (fence) let the reviewer know. And how are cachers going to get to it? The reviewer is going to look at it from the point that someone might knowingly or unknowingly trespass on the RR property. you are going to have to prove to them it can't be done.

I was assuming that the home owners have clear simple and legal access to thier home - so that is the way cachers can go.

I'm not experienced enough to give you any official advice, but are you sure you want a cache right there by your house? Surely there's someplace special to you that is close by, not as questionable, and would not yield random people on your property at any hour. I'm only weighing in on this because I thought about doing the same thing. My home sits in a small neighborhood that is cut into 1/2 acre plots. We own the plot our house and lawn is on, as well as the adjacent 1/2 acre plot that is still wooded. It would be a PERFECT spot for a cache... but I'm not sure that I want people poking around in there at 2:00am.

Hope I'm not overstepping my bounds here, but I just want to make sure you have thought this all the way through.

ya now that you all put it that way ill have to find a better spot but my little girl want to see it get found but for a 10yr old she is smart enghf to know way we cannt put it here but i think we can find a better spot to hide it. thank for your in put. hope to be some help to you all soon. thanks.

Remember, before placing a cache in front of your house, that there are no temporary caches and that means many geocachers trampling your lawn (or at least parking in front of your house).

If the reviewer says that it is in the railroad right-of-way and the railroad is 50 yards from your house, you might want to check the coordinates. Are you getting the coords with a smart phone? They do not take very good coordinates. I've known caches to be over 100 yards off when placed with a smart phone.

The other thing I would highly suggest is that you try finding some more caches before placing some.

THe more caches you find the better sense you get of the game. You also get a better idea of what other ideas people have had.The better your hides will be.

There are a whole lot of things you learn about the game by playing it. I am very glad that I found 100 before placing my first cache, and now I've learned so much more, I place much better caches with what I've learned.

The other thing is, with less than 5 finds, you might not really know if you're going to stick with the game yet. If you place a cache, you are committed to maintaining that cache for years to come. Make sure it's a game you want to stick with.

Find some more caches and come back and tell us what you've learned.

and if you stick with the game you'll end up with a GPS (if you don't have one now) and that will make placing caches much easier.