Garmin 62s vs. Delorme PN-60

tbruihler

I am in the market for possibly getting a new GPS. I have found 560 caches with a Garmin Nuvi and feel it's time to finally move on. I have read a lot about the Garmin 62s and also a little about the Delorme PN-60. Which of these is a better more reliable unit? From what I can tell, the Delorme is going to be about $50-$75 less than the Garmin.

Is there a difference in map quality between the two, including auto routing? User friendliness? Durability? Basically, are there any features that set either one of these units apart? :unsure:

Or maybe I should just stick with my nuvi :unsure:

I have had both and if you want it all for one price the PN-60. The 62S I am playing with now is a great unit but you will need to find free maps or you have to pay a lot for them. I my opinion I would go with the PN-60. It road routes very nice and has Topo maps in the box. As far as reliable they are both good. The best bang for your buck is the PN-60, but if you want a little larger screen and also a very nice unit, the 62S fits that bill. It would come down to what you want to spend. They are both great units.

Thanks

I have had both and if you want it all for one price the PN-60. The 62S I am playing with now is a great unit but you will need to find free maps or you have to pay a lot for them. I my opinion I would go with the PN-60. It road routes very nice and has Topo maps in the box. As far as reliable they are both good. The best bang for your buck is the PN-60, but if you want a little larger screen and also a very nice unit, the 62S fits that bill. It would come down to what you want to spend. They are both great units.

Thanks

As always, the Yinnie's have made a very informative response.

OP, above is the best advice available. It is from someone has actually held both in his very own hands and used them. I place this advice a notch above those who have use either, but not used both.

Furthermore, paperless caching is the preferred mode of caching by most nowadays. This is best accomplished by having a Premium Membership to download Pocket Queries containing descriptions of multiple caches. For this reason, I place at the bottom of the advice ladder is that from respondents that have found no caches.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

At the risk off being offensively off-topic: My Brand Is Best… (And Yours Sucks). Any place you see a mention of a bicycle, just mentally substitute a GPS and you'll be okay. I keep that aritcle in mind whenever someone (even me) asks or answers "What should I buy?"

Now, to resume our regularly scheduled program: I've used both of the models you're asking about, as well as their spiritual ancestors. For geocaching, and "best price for combined package contents," I don't think you can beat the DeLorme PN-60 right now. Overall I think the Garmin 62s is really the better GPS -- but for a cost conscious geocacher, I can't imagine the differences would be worth the extra $$$.

At the moment you can get a PN-60 for $239 from Amazon.com -- that's huge price advantage over the Garmin 62s. A while ago BestBuy had it for somewhat less, $219 I think. Compared to ANY Garmin model that you can find in the $220-$240 range on even the best sales, DeLorme is a clear winner.

Edited by Portland Cyclist
If you're an out-of-country traveler then you better stick to the Garmins

True. However -- since the OP is an Iowa farmer, mainly asking about geocaching, has no cache finds outside of the USA, and specifically commented on pricing -- I think international maps are less relevant. The DeLorme is a solid recommendation as the best geocaching unit for the price.

Sad but true, sale prices do fluctuate. The link I posted over the weekend pointed to a special offer ($239) from J&R Music World through Amazon. The even lower price was from BestBuy over the holidays. Unless you're in a "gotta buy it now" mood, I'd say just watch for more sales. Google Shopping is a quick and easy way to watch, as is CamelCamelCamel.com.

Who comes up with these site names though?

Are the maps for the 62s auto routable and do they contain most of the roads or just the major highways? Has Garmin fixed the "squeeky screen" that many complained about early on, or do I risk getting a squeek if I purchase one from Amazon?

From what I am finding out, I wish there was a GPS that combined the mapping ability of the Delorme with the GPS ability of the Garmin!

I did find where they have the refurbished PN-40's for $120. I have read that they have more trouble locking satellites and are not as accurate as the Garmin? I will always have my nuvi 500 for auto routing if the functunality and accuracy is better on the 62s.

I really like the usability of my nuvi 500 but am not a fan of the touch screen or the way it "feels" in my hand.

Thanks for all your input!

All of the high end GPS receivers these days will be just as accurate as one another. I can't speak for the new Garmins but I did own the legendary 60csx and my PN-40 and PN-60 hold signal just as well and are just as accurate.

The 62s only comes with a worldwide basemap, no detailed maps and no routable maps. You'll have to purchase City Navigator separately or find some free routable maps.

Edited by Pax42
...the 62s only comes with a worldwide basemap, no detailed maps and no routable maps. You'll have to purchase City Navigator separately or find some free routable maps.

That's not very difficult though: These free routable maps for Garmin have a significant advantage over both Garmin's and DeLorme's own offerings -- much more frequent updates.

And of course, there's always GPS File Depot for topographical maps. While the "all in one box" convenience is certainly a point in DeLorme's favor -- availability or cost of maps really shouldn't be a worry for a Garmin buyer.

Are the maps for the 62s auto routable and do they contain most of the roads or just the major highways? Has Garmin fixed the "squeeky screen" that many complained about early on, or do I risk getting a squeek if I purchase one from Amazon?

From what I am finding out, I wish there was a GPS that combined the mapping ability of the Delorme with the GPS ability of the Garmin!

I did find where they have the refurbished PN-40's for $120. I have read that they have more trouble locking satellites and are not as accurate as the Garmin? I will always have my nuvi 500 for auto routing if the functunality and accuracy is better on the 62s.

I really like the usability of my nuvi 500 but am not a fan of the touch screen or the way it "feels" in my hand.

Thanks for all your input!

You say you have a Nuvi 500.....that means TOTALLY paperless caching including uploading field notes and logs to your computer as well as the geocaching features.

For walking from your car to the cache get a Garmin 60 CSx and you're all set.