magellan explorist gc

samandandy2011

Hi, new to geocaching and have become a member of geocaching.com...bought a magellan explorist gc (which comes with no instructions) and managed to download some of the geocaches near me, however, not all the info goes into my explorist, the name of the geocaches appear but not the description or hints...

have downloaded GSAK already

anyone know how to do this?

thanks!

I get Popoki Nui to load it for me! I just checked and she clicks on "send to GPS" then selects which device. You need to have your device(GPS) noted in your profile. I get all the hints, 10 logs, description etc., without lifting a finger. It's a hell of a lot quicker this way, and would I remember how from one week to the next? Probably not.

There is an online manual for the GC, and somewhere there is a recent thread talking about it.

I get Popoki Nui to load it for me! I just checked and she clicks on "send to GPS" then selects which device. You need to have your device(GPS) noted in your profile. I get all the hints, 10 logs, description etc., without lifting a finger. It's a hell of a lot quicker this way, and would I remember how from one week to the next? Probably not.

There is an online manual for the GC, and somewhere there is a recent thread talking about it.

I am going to buy this device (just getting into geocaching and learning now, haven't began yet)and wonder if you have any additional software then? The other post confused me because from what I understand it works like you said out of the box so to say...in that all you have to do is select the cache you want to find, click on send to gps and that was it in order to get the full list loaded on the magellan gc gps in the way pretty much just like the computer has them listed.

Now I'm lost why all the extra steps talked about? I plan on being a prem member too so I shouldn't have to do all the added steps from what I thought..yikes now I'm lost again.

I am going to buy this device (just getting into geocaching and learning now, haven't began yet)and wonder if you have any additional software then? The other post confused me because from what I understand it works like you said out of the box so to say...in that all you have to do is select the cache you want to find, click on send to gps and that was it in order to get the full list loaded on the magellan gc gps in the way pretty much just like the computer has them listed.

Now I'm lost why all the extra steps talked about? I plan on being a prem member too so I shouldn't have to do all the added steps from what I thought..yikes now I'm lost again.

You can do them one of a time that way if you want, but it gets old quick. The methods we are talking about would let you load 100, 1000, or even 10,000 caches in a matter of minutes. (10,000 is the limit for the GC).

Sure your thinking that is crazy now, but wait till you get doing 20, 30, or even 40 caches in a day which an experienced cacher can do in a weekend easily... some people get close to 100 in a day. Or wait till you take a road trip and want to cache along the way, but are not sure exactly where you want to do it. I do a lot of traveling for work so I have 10 whole counties and parts of others loaded up in my GPS all the time, about 7000 caches total, and I update them all every week. I have no idea where I will be when I have time to grab one so I couldn't just download the ones I plan to get if I wanted to, the one at a time method would simply be impossible.

I could never get Vantage Point to work right for me. I just download the PQ and load it on to the GC. Here's a link to instructions that someone posted. Click here. GSAK works great for this too, but it takes a while to learn that program.

You can load them one at a time also, just click the link on the cache page that says send to GPS. I run a PQ for my area and load all the caches in my area, that way if I'm out and have some unexpected time to kill waiting on an appointment or something, I already have all the caches loaded and can do a quick hunt.

You might want to check out the Explorist forums too, for some more info on the GC. There some neat hidden easter eggs in the device, like different compasses and stuff. www.exploristforum.com

Also, make sure you have the latest update on your device. I hated my GC at first, but they recently came out with a update and it works a lot better now.