Noob question - FTF and notifications

craigss21

Hi All,

I am new to Geocaching (but addictated). I have a few finds up my sleeve now (20) and I am keen to snag my first FTF. I have signed up a premium member of the website so I can get notifications for new caches.

Anyway when I set the distance from home as 80 miles (yes I am willing to drive to get the FTF) and then hit the button to set it up it changes the miles to 49.385 etc (or something like that) miles instead of leaving it at 80 miles. Just wondering if anyone else has that same problem?

Thanks

Craigss21

Hi All,

I am new to Geocaching (but addictated). I have a few finds up my sleeve now (20) and I am keen to snag my first FTF. I have signed up a premium member of the website so I can get notifications for new caches.

Anyway when I set the distance from home as 80 miles (yes I am willing to drive to get the FTF) and then hit the button to set it up it changes the miles to 49.385 etc (or something like that) miles instead of leaving it at 80 miles. Just wondering if anyone else has that same problem?

Thanks

Craigss21

Hi Craigss21,

I assume you are in Australia as you have posted in the Australian forum and here in Australia we use Kilometers (km) not Miles.

I think that this site is set up to use miles not km so when you enter 80 km it is converting it to miles. 80km = 49.70969538 miles so I suspect that is what is happening. If you wish to make it 80 miles I suggest you enter 129 in the field that you entered 80 and I bet ya it will convert it to 80.1568838 and you should be set from there ;)

Hey Harris

Thanks for your quick reply. Yep I am in Oz. I don't think there is a setting to change the default from miles to kms. I gave your idea ago and bumped it up to 129 but it still changed down to 49. Maybe that is the maximum.

Has anyone elsehad this problem???

Hey Harris

Thanks for your quick reply. Yep I am in Oz. I don't think there is a setting to change the default from miles to kms. I gave your idea ago and bumped it up to 129 but it still changed down to 49. Maybe that is the maximum.

Has anyone elsehad this problem???

Hmmm ok then well thats strange, but I don't have a premium membership so haven't done the whole notification setup thing. It could possibly be a maximum but its starnge that the maximum would be a decimal value....like why would they make the max 49.xxx miles that seems kinda silly?

I'm trying to set up notifications for my Dad, who geocaches in the desert in Western Australia. His account is indeed set up for kilometers, not for miles, so there is definitely a way to do that. However it appears that 80km is the max range that it allows, is that right? I'm trying to set it for 500km. He literally lives in the middle of nowhere and driving 500km for a cache is not a big deal to him. Is 80km really the max? That totally blows if so!

I'm trying to set up notifications for my Dad, who geocaches in the desert in Western Australia. His account is indeed set up for kilometers, not for miles, so there is definitely a way to do that. However it appears that 80km is the max range that it allows, is that right? I'm trying to set it for 500km. He literally lives in the middle of nowhere and driving 500km for a cache is not a big deal to him. Is 80km really the max? That totally blows if so!

Yep you are right. There is a limit of 80km to notifications.

I suggest that you create a Personal Query for the area you want to watch and import the results into GSAK so that you can filter for new caches.