Going to Nova Scotia in February

t4e

we're going to Nova Scotia mid February and i would like some suggestions for "must get caches"

we will do the obvious one, Canada 1st Cache, actually in the process of picking a vacation destination it was the deciding factor

we'll be staying not far from Halifax, and will rent a car

we set a challenge for ourselves to try and get a cache in 3 provinces in one day :D , also will try to get all the webcams out there

apart from that would be great if those that have been there, or live there, could suggest some "must do" caches

thank you in advance :D

Your vacation plans sound very similar to a trip that we just took after Christmas. We flew to Halifax and found Canada's First Cache on the same day we arrived. If you are going there, I recommend also doing the caches on Graves Island. We went there for an EarthCache, and were really glad we did. You will want to see the monument at the posted coords for that cache. The gates are closed and we had to walk in, but if nothing else, at least check out the monument.

On the way home, we stopped in Peggy's Cove because Tromelin had never been there before and that's one of the biggest tourist destinations in Nova Scotia. We didn't have time to make it down to Lunenburg and Mahone Bay, but those areas are really nice too.

That night, another big storm hit the maritimes, so we were dealing with lots of snow after that. The next day we cached in the city of Halifax and found lots of nice caches to do. The snow didn't hamper us much there.

Day 3 of our vacation we drove to Charlottetown, PEI. We stopped to find a cache in NS first, and then did about 10 in New Brunswick (which was a bit of challenge since there are not very many caches on that stretch of road), then we took the bridge across to PEI and found a cache there. Very easily accomplished in one day, but we just made the trip one way. We stayed in PEI for two days before heading back to Halifax. Caches there were tougher to find with the snow and we DNF'd many of the ones we attempted. Be warned, it will cost you $42.50 to take the bridge off the island again, but you can cross over to PEI for free.

We also found all the webcams along our way and the "First Post" virtual caches in Halifax and Charlottetown.

Another area in Halifax we really liked was Point Pleasant Park. Lots of caches there, but it will involve quite a bit of hiking to get them. You can't drive into the park at all. Really nice area though.

Hope that helps.

P.S. If you like seafood, I also recommend checking out "McKelvies Delishes Fishes Dishes". We couldn't pass it up since the name was so funny, but the food was great. It's a fancier sort of place though which is reflected in the prices, but the food was great.

A cheaper and less fancy alternative is the Bluenose II restaurant. It wasn't open when we were there, but I have eaten there before. The place has been in business forever, so they must be doing something right.

Have fun on your trip!

One of the must do caches when I went down was TITANIC CACHE(Siliver Series # 3).

3162693791_ef126fe2f2.jpg

Visiting The Titanic Victims by Keith Watson aka Keith Watson, on Flickr

If you are going to P.E.I. look for I'm a Little Teapot.

3047273117_78babdf4fa.jpg

Teapot Rock by Keith Watson aka Keith Watson, on Flickr

Another thing we enjoyed was visiting each lighthouse at each end of P.E.I. If you do, make sure to ask for a ribbon at each end. They were free when we went and when you collect both, you get an end to end certificate.

we're going to Nova Scotia mid February

Admit it. You just want that new shiny Nova Scotia souvenir. :)

no, i want the France Souvenir :P

too bad the ferry is $400 :lol:

One of the must do caches when I went down was TITANIC CACHE(Siliver Series # 3).

If you are going to P.E.I. look for I'm a Little Teapot.

Another thing we enjoyed was visiting each lighthouse at each end of P.E.I. If you do, make sure to ask for a ribbon at each end. They were free when we went and when you collect both, you get an end to end certificate.

thank you, thank you...i thought that cache is in NS, i think you posted the link before, but for some reason couldn't find it, would have kicked myself to come back and realize i missed it

/snip

Hope that helps.

Have fun on your trip!

thank you so much for the extensive post, i will definitely add them to our list

and yes, i love seafood :D

GCZ4QV, great part of town to see. Drop by on Saturday, the farmers market will be open. I just checked this cache. There is also a TB just waiting to roll.

Good luck with your trip.

added to the list, thank you

You can get a cache in 3 provinces in one day, and some have done it in 60 minutes/

Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and PEI are closer now that you can take the bridge

that's the plan, not sure about 60 minutes though, i'll report back :lol:

Victoria Park in Truro is beautiful and has a few caches as well. You'll have to pass through Truro to get to the NB border.

Halifax has a lot to offer for any type of cacher. There are lots of downtown caches you can do while sightseeing and plenty of hiking trails if you are feeling more adventurous. Halifax has the Chain of Lakes Trail starting in Bayers Lake (starting at GC1FFMM). Also check out Shubie Park (GC1WDYQ) in Dartmouth or the Shearwater Flyer (GC1GYMK), Heritage and Salt Marsh Trails in Cole Harbour.

well it was a great trip

we did manage to get the majority of the caches that were recommended to us plus the ones we had on the list

we also got 3 Provinces in one day, not even close in making it in an hour since that was the day with the worst weather lol

we left Halifax in the morning and half the way was pouring rain, it slowly changed to flurries and developed into a blizzard for the drive back

funny enough the visibility on the Confederation bridge was better on the way back than it was going in, when there was a very thick fog and we could hardly see 50 meters ahead

also the huge amounts of snow in NB and PEI did not make it easy either, it was virtually up to my hips, and we were sinking in at every step, so we resorted to crossing in all fours to make up for the lack of snowshoes :lol:

but that's all part of the fun :D

we also went to Peggy's Cove, stopped at the area called Land of Confusion and grabbed a cache there, visited both Swiss Air Memorials, the Titanic graves

of course we went to Canada's first cache and after that to the plaque.

even with the cold weather we really enjoyed the trip and definitely planning to go back during Sumner, perhaps next year, this summer its Alberta and the Mega in the Badlands :D

favorite caches in no particular order

Land Of Confusion

Peggy and I

Whites Lake Magic

Aspotogan Jewel

Coastal Cache

The View

along with all the other caches there

and of course the best of all the one, The Doc(k) may be watching :)), where my Oregon fell out of my pocket when i crawled under the dock to get the cache, i only realized it was missing when we parked at the next cache, B&A Stillwater Cache , 20kms away :anibad:

i was very happy to get reunited with my beloved Oregon :D

still have to go through all the pictures, around 500, that i came back with and once i do that i will post some