Missed travel bug

rabbitsong

We left a travel bug at a cache on Sunday. On Monday, someone else found the cache, but in the on line log, after saying he found the cache, he asked where the travel bug was. All 3 of us remembered leaving it, and there was nothing on the ground when we left (it was not in an area with leaves or anything). Curiosity got the better of me, and, since the cache was close to my home, we went out yesterday in the pouring down rain to check it out. Sure enough, it was there. He had been there and had signed the log, but didn't say anything in the logbook about not finding the TB...waited for the online log for that. I noticed in most of his logs, he TNLN, so I figured he looked, saw a lot of stuff he didn't want and didn't look close enough to find the bug (it's flat). We emailed him and put a note in the on-line log that it was there and had been there the whole time, but he never replied. Do people miss TB's often? Since we're new, I was afraid we would get blamed for taking the TB and just saying we left it.

I must have overlooked one this month. I went to a cache in hopes of getting this and made a good search of everything in the cache. Didn't see a travel bug. Someone logged the same cache just the other day and said that they took the travel bug.

If you get lost while geocaching, don't worry. Someone else will get lost while geocaching and find you. icon_wink.gif

I hit two -- TWO caches at lunch today to grab the bugs in them, and neither one had a bug, even though the log says it's there, there is no log entry saying it was removed, etc. icon_mad.gif What is so hard about people logging the bug in and back out if they're not going to actually LEAVE it? At least note it in the logbook!

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

Had the same thing happen to me. Saw that a cache just down the street from me had a TB so I went to look it up. It may have been there and I just didn't realize it, but it was a small cache with not much to look through.

The cache is in the middle of an active parking lot though so I didn't take much time to look through everything. Oh well, Doot happens.

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

A couple of you missed the point. The bug was there, it was in the box (there wasn't even a hole for it to fall in--if it had been dropped where we opened the cache, we would have seen it because of the circumstances of the cache). We went back and checked after the guy said it wasn't there, to make sure it was. Even though I was looking for it, I didn't see it at first glance, but at second glance, I did. It was there, 3-4 inches long (without counting the tag)--you just had to actually look at the stuff in the cache, not just the log book! (gee, I thought geocachers were good at finding things!). But the guy's on-line log (not the log book one) made it look like we were in the wrong, that we hadn't left it when we said we did--that's what made me mad. By his log book entry at the cache, I don't think he even realized that bug there (thought he was looking for another one, I think, that we took--and recorded!) and found out when he got home and saw it on-line (we had just left it the day before he was there and he said he had been away from home for the weekend geocaching ). So, if you didn't know you were looking for it, and didn't take the time to really look at what is in the cache (one of the downsides of marathon caching?), then don't make it sound like the person before you didn't leave it when they said they did.

On the contrary, I DID get the point. Mine was just a pet peeve that either someone isn't signing the log, or the bug wasn't there to begin with (virtually bumped in and forgot to move out).

I took almost everything OUT of the cache to make sure it wasn't there, one item at a time. No bug.

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

Okay, valid point that you have, but a totally different subject from the one that I was posting about. I wasn't posting about people not logging that they took a travel bug or posting it in and then out without posting about the out, but about the person in a hurry who misses the bug, then makes it look in the on-line log that the other person must not have left it because they didn't bother looking well enough to find it. Your topic is a totally different problem. The point is, I left the bug, but the next cacher made it look like I said I did, but didn't, just because he didn't really look and take the time to see if it was in there.