Hints

kodiak1

If you use GSAK and the Garmin POI loader you can put hints on your 60CSX. Go over to the GSAK website. I think there is a macro that will do this.

Or if you have a Palm or other PDA you can have the cache pages sent to the device and displayed using a program like Cachemate

Thanks I'll look on gsak I use to use palm but when i go a new computer with windows xp it no longer worked,

If your looking for a good Palm replacement and for paperless caching then an iPod Touch is a good option. Using teh Geocaching app you can stor all the info about caches in the iTouch. But if you don't want/need a PDA replacement then spending the money on a good GPSr that allows paperless caching would be a better fit.

I use GSAK with macro GarminCsvPoiExport to generate POI files of 17.000+ caches on my 60CSx, including hints and child WP's. Once generated, I load the POIs onto the GPS using POI Loader (free available at Garmin).

Since the caches are loaded as POI and not as WP the amound of points is not limited to 1000, but can be many more.

Greetings!

Using GSAK, you can't include all of the hint information that it is possible to put on a cache on a 60, but you can put part of it by changing the Send Waypoints screen. No macro is needed. Just change the Waypoint Description Format field to:

%drop2 %Dif %Ter%con1 %hint

And the Waypoint Name field to :

%smart

Personally, while I do load the data into my '60 using that, I also load the cache page into my Nuvi using a GSAK macro.

Hi all. I definitely don't understand everything your saying about this but maybe you can help me. I'm just getting into paperless caching but the LOC and GPX files that I download don't seem to include the hints. How do I do this please?

Andy (Tentmantent)

Using GSAK, you can't include all of the hint information that it is possible to put on a cache on a 60, but you can put part of it by changing the Send Waypoints screen. No macro is needed. Just change the Waypoint Description Format field to:

%drop2 %Dif %Ter%con1 %hint

And the Waypoint Name field to :

%smart

Personally, while I do load the data into my '60 using that, I also load the cache page into my Nuvi using a GSAK macro.

Edited by tentmantent

If you use GSAK and the Garmin POI loader you can put hints on your 60CSX. Go over to the GSAK website. I think there is a macro that will do this.

Or if you have a Palm or other PDA you can have the cache pages sent to the device and displayed using a program like Cachemate

Thanks I'll look on gsak I use to use palm but when i go a new computer with windows xp it no longer worked,

Make sure you have the latest software from palm. Some parts of the application wouldn't work with XP but they updated their software.