newbie from down under

just searching

hi all

Hello I am from downunder Australia and I am looking at trying to start caching I signed up and now a member nick just searching I have no idea of how to even start to search for caches can some 1 give me some help please I know that I have to have a gps but I can possibly use my I phone all help greatly appriciated I live in Brisbane Qld.

thank you

urs

just searching Chris

Hey Chris,

Welcome to caching. Here are a couple things that helped me when I started

Look for low level difficulty caches at first to develope an eye for spotting caches. Might not be the most exciting caches but you'll learn how things get hidden and aquire you "cache sense"

Look for an event held near you to meet up with other cachers. These show up on your cache searches as little dialoge balloons like you see in the comics.

Check the Austrailian forum on the website here to get info from your neighbors.

Finally go out & have fun. Don't get stressed about not finding too many right off. You will soon be grabing them left and right.

Cheers

Dwayne

Welcome to the forums! Sorry to hear about the terrible flooding in your state. I have heard that a lot of folks get started with their iPhones, but switch to a dedicated GPS receiver once they're hooked on caching. The GPSr is waterproof and a lot more rugged - and batteries can be changed on the go. Also they are not reliant on cell service!

Check the links that MrsB and others have provided, and feel free to ask questions. If you can hook up with other cachers at events in your area that would be great. Maybe you can fix a caching trip with some of them and get some tips.

We hooked up with a fellow cacher to gang up on a cache that had eluded us - we (or rather HE) found it, but the real prize for us was meeting such a lovely gentleman.

Have fun out there!

Hi Just Searching,

We are new to Geo Caching too, we are from NSW and we have so far found two caches, using the combination of iphone and ipod touch both with the Geo Caching ap brought from itunes and of course the geo caching.com website.

This is something we have taken up as a family so because geo mum has some minor mobility issues and geo daughter is only 4 we have started with the low level difficulty and low level terrain caches in our local area.

We are also heading south in a week so have checked into some low level ones in that area too.

Too things I suggest is research, taking a pen that works and things to swap if your interested in the treasure (geo kids love this and big geo kids too lol).

Our two goals for Geo Caching are to spend more time as a family and to get more exercise this year.

all the best happy hunting

Chris, Penny & Maddison

CPM2440

hi all

thank you for your info and encouragements I will take all this on board and c how i go

urs just searching

Chris

Hi Just Searching,

We have started with a tom tom (??!!) don't know why now as only ever got us within 10m and we had to do some detective work to get the cache. anyway, now we have a combination of iphone and Garmon. the iphones have a free trial geocaching app that is useful and has a step by step instructions on geocaching and the app itself that you can operate whilst in the bush.

We agree with the previous logs in that to try the 1 star ratings (on both terrian and difficulty) you will soon notice you will get an 'eye' for the cache site. the other thing is if you like a cache hiders style you can click a link on their listing (ie: go to the listing of the cache then scroll down the the logs...just above the logs you will see dot points or bullet points one would be see other caches hidden/found by this user, click on hidden and more than likely the caches will be in your area and of similar standard)

Good luck and happy caching!

may the force be with you!

Lightsaberlodge