Nuvi 265W

I recently bought a Garmin Nuvi 265W. I already know that, although it is designed as an automotive GPS to find your way to a predetermined destination, providing turn by turn instruction, it can be used in my locale in Canada and the US for geocaching purposes. I would like to invite comments on its and similar GPS's use worldwide. Will they for example pick up GPS satellites in Europe or anywhere else around the world, using its worldwide base map?

Your comments will be most appreciated.

County Couple

the ability to get a GPS signal does not depend on the installed maps, it will be able to do so even without any maps installed. the installed maps simply dictate what you will see on the screen, how much information it knows about the area and its car routing capabilities.

HOw many caches or gpx files will it hold?????

A Nuvi cannot hold caches. It can, however hold about 500 or 1000 favorites, equivalent of waypoints on a Nuvi.

The way to go with a Nuvi, however, is to use custom POI. You need to be a premium member, runs a Windows machine, and use GSAK. This website describes what it can do, and how to do it.

A Nuvi cannot hold caches. It can, however hold about 500 or 1000 favorites, equivalent of waypoints on a Nuvi.

The way to go with a Nuvi, however, is to use custom POI. You need to be a premium member, runs a Windows machine, and use GSAK. This website describes what it can do, and how to do it.

In a Nuvi, a Favorite and a POI listing are two different things. Depending on how large each POI is, will determine how many it will hold. When I used the 255w I believe I put in around 30-40 thousand POI's. Right now in my 1350T I have over 70 thousand files that I have added. GSAK is a popular way of doing it but it is not my choice.

HOw many caches or gpx files will it hold?????

Has anyone out there tried to follow the "True paperless Geocaching" instructions and install it properly? I keep getting stuck in one part and cannot get past it? Getting frustrated,as I want this as backup for my 60 when on the road.

Edited by GEOrgeTRACy
Has anyone out there tried to follow the "True paperless Geocaching" instructions and install it properly? I keep getting stuck in one part and cannot get past it? Getting frustrated,as I want this as backup for my 60 when on the road.

Which part are you stuck at? I've been using this. Feel free to email me if you need help. The problem that most people encounter is with folder names. If you install on 64 bit machines, or if you install on Vista / Windows 7, sometimes the location of the folders are different.

Which part are you stuck at? I've been using this. Feel free to email me if you need help. The problem that most people encounter is with folder names. If you install on 64 bit machines, or if you install on Vista / Windows 7, sometimes the location of the folders are different.

Love to email you with this.I am stuck with the GSAK macro file. There is no macro subfolder to install it to and in the macro button config, page I can't specify Macro1 under name, and can't find the macro file name.Am following the instructions from total tech world. Might be easier if I could email you with this.I have XP pro,by the way.

Just converted my account to Premium yesterday (promised myself if I hit 100 finds I'd treat myself), and jumped through the hoops that are the GSAK/Poiloader. It gives a couple of errors here and there, but I managed to get it working on my nuvi 265W.

One of the big hurdles is that GSAK doesn't actually create any directory files as other windows apps do -- you have to manually go into the File Explorer and make new folders, then point the programs to where the folders are.

-Tielyn