Easiest way for all of WNY

wolf9545

Let me start by saying I am sorry if this is in the wrong form section; couldn't figure out the right section.

I already of individual pocket queries setup for different sections of WNY (Western New York, where I live) so that I believe that I can cover the whole section. What I did is choose my house, a place that is towards the top left of WNY, a place that is towards the bottom left of WNY and some other areas. I have the settings be a total of 1,000 geocaches for each pocket query and a max of 100 miles away staying just in NY state. The idea is this way I can load them all onto my Magellan explorist GC unit (which holds 10,000 caches, also just updated to firmware 1.6 if anyone didn't know) and when my wife and I are out we can just turn on the unit and see if there is any in the area we missed. I like to delete all of the caches each month and re-run the pocket query to get new logs, caches, and other new stuff.

What my main question is is there a better way of making sure that I am covering all of WNY? I want all of the caches from Rochester over to Buffalo; Rochester is the farthest we would travel in a day. When I take each one of my pocket queries and load them into GSAK each one has a lot that already exist from other pocket queries but also contain some that they didn't.

Let me start by saying I am sorry if this is in the wrong form section; couldn't figure out the right section.

I already of individual pocket queries setup for different sections of WNY (Western New York, where I live) so that I believe that I can cover the whole section. What I did is choose my house, a place that is towards the top left of WNY, a place that is towards the bottom left of WNY and some other areas. I have the settings be a total of 1,000 geocaches for each pocket query and a max of 100 miles away staying just in NY state. The idea is this way I can load them all onto my Magellan explorist GC unit (which holds 10,000 caches, also just updated to firmware 1.6 if anyone didn't know) and when my wife and I are out we can just turn on the unit and see if there is any in the area we missed. I like to delete all of the caches each month and re-run the pocket query to get new logs, caches, and other new stuff.

What my main question is is there a better way of making sure that I am covering all of WNY? I want all of the caches from Rochester over to Buffalo; Rochester is the farthest we would travel in a day. When I take each one of my pocket queries and load them into GSAK each one has a lot that already exist from other pocket queries but also contain some that they didn't.

Most people use a date filter. I"m not exactly sure how. I live in the Four Corners area, 1,000 caches covers 55 miles as the crow flies which is far enough for me.

Is there a reason that you want all the caches? Maybe caches along a route would be more helpful for you.

Have you tried GSAK- it takes a bit of practice but can be super helpful for planning trips and setting up regular filters (for areas or types of caches that you target on a regular basis).

The main reason I want all caches is so that when we go out for a normal day (shopping, seeing sights (especially since we live so close to Niagara Falls) we can say "hey, I wonder if there is any caches in the area". This way we can just do some caches without spending a few hours planning. If I have all of the caches in the area then I don't say latter when we log the ones we found "that would have been a neat one to do" type of thing.

The main reason I want all caches is so that when we go out for a normal day (shopping, seeing sights (especially since we live so close to Niagara Falls) we can say "hey, I wonder if there is any caches in the area". This way we can just do some caches without spending a few hours planning. If I have all of the caches in the area then I don't say latter when we log the ones we found "that would have been a neat one to do" type of thing.

Do you have a smart phone?

Once you get your PQ's and filters built it is super easy (if you use GSAK).

I find older caches have better odds of being there.

I use the date filter. I've got two sets of PQs. One for all of New Jersey, and one for any cache withih 65 miles of home (which includes parts of New York, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut.)

Determine what distance from home you want, and what states/provinces you want. If you only want New York, specify that.

Show me 1000 caches of

Any Type

Any Container

That I haven't found and are not on my ignore list

Within New York

From (put home coordinates here)

Within a radius of (specify your radius)

Placed during (This is the time consuming part. Start with January 1 1995. Make the second date the one that will show you just less than 1000 caches when you hit the 'submit button'. For my 65 Mile not NJ list that is July 15, 2006. The next thousand takes me to February 25, 2008. Continue setting them up until you get to 2011. If you want Ontario within 35 miles, set another one up for that. It takes a bit of hit and miss to get it to work. But once it is set up, it's fairly easy to redo as needed.

I have a cache in West New York! But, as everyone knows, West New York is in New Jerey. :laughing:

I will have to try that. Never thought about just using dates, I was just placing the from location as different point at WNY (WNY = Buffalo area). Thanks for the tip.

It would be neat if geocaching did setup an option in the pocket query that just "all of state ..." so I could load all of NY or something that said west / east / north / south of city in state.

Just finished creating the different pocket queries with the different dates; there ended up being a total of 7 of them and one for the Seaway Trail geocaches. This should work, now I just have to wait for them to run on the different days. The first one ended Feb 26th 2006 (with about 995 caches) so I made the next one start Feb 27th 2006. Thank you very much again. I guess you could do the same for the whole state just expand the mileage out to what it would be for across the whole state of NY. I have no idea what it would be to cover NYC because the site I normally use, My link, is not showing the map portion right now.

Just a note for anyone wanting to do this, if you tell it a date that doesn't exist (Feb 30th of any year) it seems to jump right to 1,000 caches