GSAK Question

Teamcameron52

I use the wonderful NGS>GPX tool to translate data sheet into GSAK. The question I have pertains to the cache types that it converts them into. Some get come across as benchmarks, but the majority show up as locationless and mystery caches. I've deduced that the marks converted to locationless are triangulation stations, church spires, elevated tanks and the like, but why do so many show up as mystery caches? Does it have something to do with when the last recovery was? Any help would be appreciated!

Hi Teamcameron:

If you adjust your display ("view") so that you can see the 'container", you'll see there are "adjusted" and "scaled' marks. Adjusted are accurate horizontal position (Lat / Long), while not accurate in elevation (generally triangulation stations or intersection stations). Scaled marks are not accurate in position, but ARE accurate in elevation (classic Bench Marks). If you don't like the symbols, create a filter for the symbol you want to change (suggest saving the filter), then go to Database / Global Replace..... and you can change the symbol to whatever you want. I use the "CITO" symbol (looks like a little globe of some sort). Kind of appropriate for a scaled benchmark. Have fun!

Klemmer

It's been a while since I set them, but isn't there a dialog in NGS>GPX to set the icons used?

You know.. As the author, you'd think I would know, right?

I can't remember. I've been working on v3.0 so long now I haven't used v2.x in a long time. :) I DO remember the icons, however -

Intersection Benchmarks (landmarks) use the Locationless Cache, due to the icon picture.

Scaled marks use the Mystery Cache, to let you know that the coordinates may NOT be correct!

Better-precision (H_HELD1, H_HELD2, ADJUSTED) all appear as a benchmark symbol.

v3.0 will let you define these manually, if so desired. It will also allow proper use of the new 'County' and 'Elevation' GSAK fields.