Newbie Help

mksmith713

I'm a newbie using C:/geo for android.

There are tons of questions but I'll start with only one.

How do I know what the size of the cache is?

My daughter and I started just today and were lucky that we found 3 out of 5 with one being a nano.

The other two...well we had no clue what we were looking for.

In fact, none of the five had any info on size...we got lucky on the nano, one was a large and the other, well there was a clue and deductive reasoning paid off.

We read the posts but none were helpful.

So, how does one know what sized container they're looking for?

I have no experience with c:geo, but the Android apps I've used (GeoBeagle and the official Groundspeak app) both show the size of the cache. If you have a data connection, then another option is to view the cache page in the Android browser, where you'll be able to see the size.

mksmith "in the good old days" we used to jot down the geocache coordinates from the website while at home, then manually enter them into our GPS & go seek out the elusive cache.

Don't get upset just because U can't auto-grab all the details for free on your smartphone,, there are options! :)

Edited by NordicMan

mksmith "in the good old days" we used to jot down the geocache coordinates from the website while at home, then manually enter them into our GPS & go seek out the elusive cache.

Don't get upset just because U can't auto-grab all the details for free on your smartphone,, there are options! :)

That's exactly what I'm doing...manually entering the coordinates.

It seems to be working OK.

I'll go out a few more times and see if my daughter and I are really into this or if it passes before I commit to investing more into it.

I can remember taking her fishing for the first time....a stocked pond...she caught a bunch of small fish.She was hooked...or so we thought.

She had to have her own gear.....fast forward a few fishing outings to less than stellar locations with nearly no fish biting.

Her gear is now collecting dust.

Kids expect instant positive results which we had on our first outing.

Let's see how it goes the next few times.

Nah, it just seems lame now. I mean, spend all this time trying to find a geocache. Then when (a pretty big assumption right there) you find it....so what? I mean who cares?

The people that care are the ones that want to put the effort into it. You already stated the miniscule effort you have put into it in "Newbie Here" posts as shown below. Now you try to pass off your ineptitude in "Newbie Help" post to someone that wants to learn? I think the only thing you have stated that makes sense is, " This may not be the hobby for me."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, I am new to this as well and have tried to find about 25 geocaches so far, and haven't found a single one!

How DO people actually find these! I've wandered around in the woods looking for these, heck, I don't even know what I am looking for! Is it a box, a sign, crate?

I will try a few more but between you and me I think this might be a rather short lived hobby.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the tip, I haven't found anything close to that, but from now on I suppose I could bring my own and leave one since they say we are supposed to leave something.

We will give that a try, I know we have a few Tupperware boxes in the basement we can use.

GCQK3Z was one of the first. I just don't think that one is there. Has anyone found that one yet?

Actualy, the more I think about it, is there a guide service or company that we could hire to show you where these are?

That would make it a lot easier it seems, then they wouldn't take you to the ones people have already found.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good idea, but still, I'm going to see if any of these guys are for hire. After spending an hour trying to find one of these you realize it would be a lot cheaper to hire a guide than wasting my time searching in vain for something that probably isn't even there. At least they know what these things are supposed to look like.

Wasting my time is not exactly what call fun.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks guys, it looks like I'm in way over my head here, I didn't know this was so complicated. This may not be the hobby for me.

Worth a try though. After attempting 30 of them so far and finding nothing I think this might be a little to tough. I will let the young guys do it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nah, it just seems lame now. I mean, spend all this time trying to find a geocache. Then when (a pretty big assumption right there) you find it....so what? I mean who cares?
It's like a scavenger hunt. You spend hours collecting random objects: a willow leaf, an acorn, a movie ticket stub, a receipt from all three coffee shops, etc., etc., etc. Then, when it's all over, you just toss everything in the trash. So what? Who cares?

The question is, did you have fun doing it?

If you did, then great. If not, then find something else to do that you enjoy more.

It's turning into a fun activity I can share with my daughter.

One day....when she gets older and her friends think it's lame to hang out with their parents, maybe....just maybe she'll be the one who thinks it IS still cool to hang out with Dad from time to time.

My son is 9 and were new to this too! We've only found about 4 and i'm hoping this will bring us many years of fun as well!

Good luck!and Have fun!