The Favoriteist Caches

briansnat

Welcome to Las Vegas has 75.

When checking out my finds to select favorites, I noticed something interesting.

Fewer than .03% of my found caches are virtuals.

When I look through all the non-virtual caches; most (by far) do not have a favorite vote. Of those that do most have just one.

82% of my virtuals have been selected by someone as a favorite. MOST of those have between 10 and 75 votes each.

Based on my experience, if I was going to select caches based on the quantity of favorite votes, I'd be concentrating on the virts.

Welcome to Las Vegas has 75.

When checking out my finds to select favorites, I noticed something interesting.

Fewer than .03% of my found caches are virtuals.

When I look through all the non-virtual caches; most (by far) do not have a favorite vote. Of those that do most have just one.

82% of my virtuals have been selected by someone as a favorite. MOST of those have between 10 and 75 votes each.

Based on my experience, if I was going to select caches based on the quantity of favorite votes, I'd be concentrating on the virts.

Good post.

People who are giving favorites to Virtuals are doing so because they really enjoyed being brought to that spot to see - well, whatever it was they were supposed to see for the Virt. And that's something that can unite almost every geocacher - we can all appreciate being brought to the vicinity of some WOW thing to see.

Some traditional caches will get favorite points just for being old, while being old leaves other cachers unmoved. Some will get points for good camo, which just frustrates other searchers. But a highly-favorite virtual is almost certain to please new visitors, too, for the same reason it already pleased the other finders - because it's a cool place.

Conversely, a virtual with zero favorite points is almost certainly one to skip (after a few months, to give everyone a chance to use up their backlog of points). Not a WOW spot.

People who are giving favorites to Virtuals are doing so because they really enjoyed being brought to that spot to see - well, whatever it was they were supposed to see for the Virt. And that's something that can unite almost every geocacher - we can all appreciate being brought to the vicinity of some WOW thing to see.

Some traditional caches will get favorite points just for being old, while being old leaves other cachers unmoved. Some will get points for good camo, which just frustrates other searchers. But a highly-favorite virtual is almost certain to please new visitors, too, for the same reason it already pleased the other finders - because it's a cool place.

Conversely, a virtual with zero favorite points is almost certainly one to skip (after a few months, to give everyone a chance to use up their backlog of points). Not a WOW spot.

Interesting post. I wonder if the traditional caches that are getting the most favorites are the ones that bring people "to the vicinity of some WOW thing to see."

If a cache was a favorite of yours the fact that it archived shouldn't change a thing.

I found myself in a similar dilema. Many of the caches I loved the most have been archived. I decided, after some thought, to not include them in my favorites list. Not because I want to deny those stellar caches their due recognition, but rather, because I want to spend my votes listing caches that folks can go hunt for. Since I still have a buttload of votes left, perhaps I will go spend them on a few archived ones. :unsure:

IF I even decide to favorite ANY caches, certainly A LOT of them will be archived caches...maybe even exclusively so.

If one were to mark only active caches today, certainly some of them will be archived over time...thus exacerbating the 'what to leave in, what to take out' dilemma. And, necessitating an occasional review of the whole list to weed them out. I have enough of a chore weeding out archived caches from my Ignore list.

Apparently nobody in here (most of whom appear to know the meaning of 'Quality cache') is having any issues with an inadequate supply of favorite points, so perhaps it's a non-issue.