Chossing a TB

2LuknF8

quote:
Originally posted by 2LUKNF8:

I am about to set free a set of travel bugs but I have some concerns about the durability of items. What has worked well for others? Any suggestions?

If they can stand up to the rigors of a child playing with it over the course of several years, they'll be able to withstand what geocachers can dish out. icon_biggrin.gif

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

My hobby? Tromping through the underbrush looking for Tupperware containers.

quote:
Originally posted by 2LUKNF8:

Well, since all my children are grown, I guess the rigors of testing will fall squarely on my golden retriever's shoulders icon_wink.gif. She immediately adopted my first trvel bug- Ripcow, the bodacious bovine in search of refuge. Ripcow's travels will be delayed a little.

You could also try Hot Wheels® cars as they are virtually indestructable. There are a few of them out there already as travel bugs, but a few more wouldn't hurt.

Problem with some of them is there is no place to attach the tag, unlss they have open windows where you can run the chain through.

I have a PT Cruiser How Wheel® that I might send out, but I'd have to vandalize the front windows in order to attach the tag. icon_frown.gif

Walk down the toy aisle of your local Wal-Mart or Target. You'll probably find all sorts of possibilities there. That way, your dog could have permanent possession of Ripcow. icon_biggrin.gif

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

My hobby? Tromping through the underbrush looking for Tupperware containers.

quote:
My kids are grown

Well, mine are, grown, too. But I'm not! I have fallen in love with McDonalds Happy Meal Furbys. For me they are the best travel bug. In fact I have re-created them into a new creature, the "McFurby of Clan McFurby". You can see their pictures if you do a search by travel bug name "McFurby". I have five McFurbys out there now. Hey, if you have some and don't want to use them as travel bugs, I'll take them. I'll pay postage, too. The hard part is letting them go into a cache where they will be all alone in the dark for days and days.

On the more practical side, A travel bug should not be too large so it wouldn't fit in a smallish cache container. And not so small that it could fall on the ground and you wouldn't see it when you rehid the container. A Travel Bug should have a personality that speaks of it's owner, or be suitable for the quest on which it is sent.

icon_confused.gif

Captain Walker, Frodo & the gang

Dark River Rangers, Florida Company.