paperless geocaching

I have recently bought a MAP62ST with the possibility of paperless geocaching.

I dowloaded a number of caches and send them with GSAK and Mapsource to my GPS but in the text on my GPSscreen strange signs appear, particularly in the case of the questions and tasks where it concerns coordinates. The same mistakes appear on the geocachingscreen of my Oregon 550T.

Example:

" Go to N 52 21.B (B– A– 1) A E

004 54 (B& ndash; A& ndash; 1) (A+1) (B& ndash;A)

Can anyone help me to get rid of this strange stuff?

Thanks a lot

klaas kuiper

Heiloo Holland

I have recently bought a MAP62ST with the possibility of paperless geocaching.

I dowloaded a number of caches and send them with GSAK and Mapsource to my GPS but in the text on my GPSscreen strange signs appear, particularly in the case of the questions and tasks where it concerns coordinates. The same mistakes appear on the geocachingscreen of my Oregon 550T.

Example:

" Go to N 52 21.B (B– A– 1) A E

004 54 (B& ndash; A& ndash; 1) (A+1) (B& ndash;A)

Can anyone help me to get rid of this strange stuff?

Thanks a lot

klaas kuiper

Heiloo Holland

I can't say for sure as I do not have a paperless GPS

But I would bet it has to do with HTML versus plain text Cache descriptions. In that case the only thing that could be done would be to fire up either a text editor and use find and replace on the .gpx or write a script to replace it.

HTML uses those code instead of the actual symbols so that it show up properly in a browser. Unfortunately your GPS may not render html.

If we're going to be technical, – is HTML for a non-ASCI en dash character. The en dash character isn't even a Latin-1 (ISO-8859-1) character.

Touché I did not know it was not ascii.

Learn something new everyday.

But since we are correcting each other it is ASCII

American Standard Code for Information Interchange

:)

thank you very much for all your reactions. But what is the solution of all this? Is there a way to get rid of all the ASCI or HTML stuff in my expensive MAP62ST en Oregon550T or must I walk puzzleing through the woods of Europe with the printed versions of nice caches. I'm a retired geographyteacher and my trips last several months a year and I haven't got a printer in my caravan. thats why I bought a GPS with paperless geocaching possibilites. :)

Who has the solution? Garmin perhaps?

thanks for the thinking

greeting from klaas kuiper

holland

thank you very much for all your reactions. But what is the solution of all this? Is there a way to get rid of all the ASCI or HTML stuff in my expensive MAP62ST en Oregon550T or must I walk puzzleing through the woods of Europe with the printed versions of nice caches. I'm a retired geographyteacher and my trips last several months a year and I haven't got a printer in my caravan. thats why I bought a GPS with paperless geocaching possibilites. :)

thanks for the thinking

holland

You'll have to convert the HTML encoded characters in the GPX to ASCII before uploading the GPX to your devices. You can do this in various ways: write your own code to do this in a programming language you're comfortable with, search/replace in a text editor of your choice (possibly by means of a macro) or possibly a GSAK macro.

Or you can use a HTML capable device for the paperless part. We've been using an iPod Touch for this for years now and are very happy with our setup, we've even got spoiler pictures without needing a WiFi/GSM connection.

Greetings from Belgium

thanks for the thinking

holland

You could try using gsak when importing the gpx file use remove html entities. I don't have either of those units so I can't test it. It's worth a shot though.

aw, so I got my terminology wrong. doh!

At any rate, certain programs seem to like to use these non-ASCII non-ISO-8859-1 characters. I'm working on a class website project with someone who's using Adobe Dreamweaver to edit the website while I use a couple of different programs to edit different parts (depending on what task I need to do). Everything the other person edits in Dreamweaver winds up with nonstandard characters in it and the codes get really obnoxious. When I try to edit the page later in a program that doesn't seem to like the nonstandard characters, the code gets jacked up and the nonstandard characters get converted into ASCII characters that dont' make any sense.

Real PIMA.

aw, so I got my terminology wrong. doh!

At any rate, certain programs seem to like to use these non-ASCII non-ISO-8859-1 characters. I'm working on a class website project with someone who's using Adobe Dreamweaver to edit the website while I use a couple of different programs to edit different parts (depending on what task I need to do). Everything the other person edits in Dreamweaver winds up with nonstandard characters in it and the codes get really obnoxious. When I try to edit the page later in a program that doesn't seem to like the nonstandard characters, the code gets jacked up and the nonstandard characters get converted into ASCII characters that dont' make any sense.

Real PIMA.

I hate dreamweaver! And just about any other wysiwyg. Bluefish for the win!!!