More help please

My new Garmin GPS 60 arrives tomorrow, i know, hooked after my first day out caching.

I found my old Tungsten Palm PDA today and wondered if it would come in useful for my next outings. I've done a search on here and ended up very confused. I started looking at cachemate, then GSAK then followed a guide put up on here by one of you helpful souls but had to give up when my head started to hurt.

Can any of you let me know my options for my pda and help me with a dummies type guide on how to get going with it.

I know it's a big ask so I'd be grateful for any help

:)

thanks in advance

gary

Hi, welcome to the addiction.

The first requirement for paperless caching, regardless of what hardware you are using is 'Premium Membership'. This is so that you can download pocket queries with bulk GPX files rather than the LOC files you can download as a member. LOC files contain only the name and coordinates and not a lot more whereas GPX files contain everything on the cache page including hints and previous logs.

I used to use a Palm for caching in conjunction with an Etrex Venture. On the palm I had Cachemate and on the desktop I used (and still do) GSAK to sort out the caches and download them to the palm and the Etrex. I did try linking the Etrex to the palm but the only method they would both support was a serial link with a length of electrical string which would get securely wrapped around every passing bush, so I stuck to separate GPS and PDA. I now use a bluetooth GPSr and a PPC running beeline (and Pocket Anquet for mapping)

I would say, a palm and Cachemate is a very good introduction to paperless caching and will enable you to decide what is important for you before upgrading if you want to.

Cachemate is very simple to use on the Palm (and not expensive). Here is a link to the website instructions. If you do a Pocket Query you can use GSAK to create the cachemate database (pdb). GSAK is free (with a 'nag' screen) or you can buy it.

There are probably other ways and other programs but this is how I used to do when I had a Palm.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

I found my old Tungsten Palm PDA today and wondered if it would come in useful for my next outings. I've done a search on here and ended up very confused. I started looking at cachemate, then GSAK then followed a guide put up on here by one of you helpful souls but had to give up when my head started to hurt.

That's what I've been using for years... I have a Garmin iQue 3600 which is basically a Palm PDA (with a built in GPSr which is hardly ever turned on as it reduces the battery life drastically). I download Pocket Queries into GSAK, and use that to create CacheMate files. These are loaded into the PDA using the PalmOne Quick Install. The waypoints are also loaded to my 60CSx from GSAK. Haven't used paper print-outs for years. It works for me and I've had no inclination to up-grade to anything more "modern".

Edited by Pharisee

Thanks guys, I download GSAK last night, and followed someones guide from here. I had a lot of trouble following the instructions though particullary when i had to start editing .text files and saving them in places. GSAK then wanted some data and when i added my account number it uploaded a load of locations i knew nothing about. I nearly went blind in the end uninstalled everything and went to bed.

If it's as easy as you say I'll try again later today. any other written guides to setting up would be useful too if you could point me that way

What shall I start with Cachemate, or GSAK? do I need both?

IMHO I would say yes, for 2 reasons.

i. Loading caches into Cachemate without GSAK is possible but a real pain.

ii. Once you have a knowlege of GSAK, Cachemate is almost automatic.

I know GSAK can seem daunting at first and on your own can be rather like trying to learn how to ride a bike form a book of instructions. The easiest way is to spend an hou with someone who is familiar with it.

From the caches you have found, I am guessing that you are from the Blythe area. I offer the following suggestions:-.

Have a look for events in your area. I'm sure there will be several in the run up to Christmas and go to one, or more, of them. You will find a friendly bunch of people there. most of whom will be GSAK users and will be happy to help you.

If you haven't already found the NE forum try asking for GSAK help on there.

I would offer to help but I am rather a long way away in Northamptonshire!

What shall I start with Cachemate, or GSAK? do I need both?

IMHO I would say yes, for 2 reasons.

i. Loading caches into Cachemate without GSAK is possible but a real pain.

ii. Once you have a knowlege of GSAK, Cachemate is almost automatic.

I know GSAK can seem daunting at first and on your own can be rather like trying to learn how to ride a bike form a book of instructions. The easiest way is to spend an hou with someone who is familiar with it.

From the caches you have found, I am guessing that you are from the Blythe area. I offer the following suggestions:-.

Have a look for events in your area. I'm sure there will be several in the run up to Christmas and go to one, or more, of them. You will find a friendly bunch of people there. most of whom will be GSAK users and will be happy to help you.

If you haven't already found the NE forum try asking for GSAK help on there.

I would offer to help but I am rather a long way away in Northamptonshire!

great advice thank you so much.