GpsFileDepot Topo

kwcahart

I just downloaded the Gpsfiledepot Texas Topo which I thought was a 24k? I honestly cannot tell any difference between it and the map that came with the Garmin 450T which I think is a 100K topo. I can switch back an forth between the two and I can't see any difference at all on the GPS? Any opinions on this? Did I do something wrong maybe? For some reason it looks like I'm not getting to the GPSfiledepot map, but it is listed on my "map selections" of the Map setup on the 450T. I put it on an 8GB micro SDHC card. I wonder what is the Max size SD card the Garmin 450T can use? It shows a funny name also, it calls it an mti-tx, and then names it florida 1, florida 2, etc. Really weird! Anyone else downloaded this map? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Edited by kwhart

What "*.img" maps (by filename.img) do you see if you browse the Garmin folder on your 450T? How many entries do you see and what are they called for all of the maps available to you when you use the Setup > Map > Map Information Select Map ??? Be sure that you have deselected the Garmin topo map!

Especially when you zoom up, there should be a clear difference in the density of the lines that identify altitude (the contour lines) between the Garmin 100K map and any 24K map.

Unless you have a transparent map (which neither of your maps are), the GPS will only draw one of them. My bet is the only thing you are seeing is the 24K map as it most likely draws on top of the built in topo.

To see the built in topo, you need to make sure you disable the 24K topo in the set up maps (this assumes the 24k covers the 100K)

If the built in topos are covering up the 24K you have to turn off the built in topos to see the 24K maps

if both maps are enabled, only the one with the highest draw order will be shown.

Is this the map you mean? http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/131/

I think you'll need to arrange the maps correctly for this non-transparent map, and the detailed answer on "how to" is in the Garmin Oregon Wiki, points 15 through 18.

Why merge maps in MapSource? Just keep them separate, uniquely named, and select whichever one you need from Setup. It would only be necessary to fiddle the transparency if you were trying to merge maps, right?

When I was done with MapSource, I had one I called ColoTopo.img that was "standalone", and I can either select that or another map from the front panel.

I have just spent the last 1 1/2 hours downloading, installing and testing that mapset and everything is working as it should. 'mti_tx' is short for "mark's topo intermediate _ texas". There is no reference to florida anywhere during the installation, nor the c:\program files\Texas topo, nor in MpaSource, nor on my OR300. Where are you seeing the 'florida ...'? Are you in a PC environment or MAC?

As others have posted, you would need to disable Garmin's 100k topo to see the Texas topo.

Yes I have the Garmin topo disabled. When I go to the "map selection" screen on the 450T I see three selections, "mti_tx", "Florida Topo", and "TOPO U.S. 100K". Under the "mti_tx it says the exact same thing as the "Florida Topo" does. It reads; Florida Topo_A1, Florida Topo_A2, Florida Topo_A3, and it says this on both the Tx and the Fl topos. I show the Florida and the TOPO 100K disabled. PC with Vista. When I hook the 450T to the PC I can't find the TX or the FL maps. I may not be looking in the right place? What would they be called and what folder? I have them on the SD card.

Edited by kwhart
All I can see that are .img is a gmapprom.img 2,767,168 kb, and a gmaptz.img 591 kb. I see no reference to an SD card. Maybe I didn't turn the card on??? Do I need to do that or will the garmin see it automatically?
Your SD card will appear as a separate external drive, like your Garmin does. Look over there.

As I posted earlier, when I downloaded and checked the Texas Topo, there is nothing in it that refers to Florida. I did not do a FL topo and those 'names' are in a different 'style' than what I use.

If you used MapSource to send the TX data to the GPSr or SD card; the data will be in 'Garmin' folder and in a file named gmapsupp.img (unless you renamed it). The gmapprom.img 2,767,168 kb is the preinstalled Garmin Topo 100k, the gmaptz.img 591 kb is another preinstalled base map.

Do NOT delete either; if you have not already done so; make a copy of those to you computer incase they ever need to be 'reloaded' to the GPSr.

Is there any reference to the FL files/data in MapSource?

Delete the gmapsupp.img file. If the FL files are still there, it might be that someone had the unit before you and left them on it.

Edited by snowfleurys

I want the Florida TOPO, and I want the TX TOPO, so I will look for the SD drive to see what is there. One more question, how do I delete maps and mapsets from mapsource? I couldn't find any place to do that? Thanks everone for your help, I appreciate it. Just a note on the 450T, I built a four stage multi last week and used the 450T to go back to it and check it. The 450T took me within feet of all four coordinates.

Now you say you also want FL; I was under the impression FL was something unwanted that was showing up when you were wanting to use the TX mapset.

Mapsets can be removed by running the 'uninstall.exe' program which came with each mapset (each uninstall is specific to the mapset it came with). The file is in the folder with the mapset data; c:\Program files\xxxxx topo unless you specified a different folder when you installed a mapset.

------

I now surmise you may have sent part or all of the TX topo to the GPSr; then sent part or all of the TX topo.

When MapSource sends a new gmapsupp.img file to the GPSr, that file will overwrite/replace an existing gmapsupp.img file on the GPSr. It does not add nor update data in an existing gmapsupp.img file. Therefore the second mapset (FL?) you sent replaced the first (TX?). On your GPSr simply rename the gmapsupp.img file to somename.img (ie. TXtopo.img); then send another mapset and rename it (ie. FLtopo.img). The procedure in older units is to select from one mapsets; then select from the second mapset, etc. and finally send all the selected quads/tiles to the GPSr as one gmapsupp.img file.

There might also be a conflict if you sent one mapset to the internal memory and the other to the SD card. The GPSr may be confused by seeing two files named gmapsupp.img file.

Also see the turorial: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-...armin-gps-unit/

Edited by snowfleurys

I have read all the tutorials. I sent all of the mapsets at one time to the SD card plugged in to the card reader on the PC. The GPS was never plugged in to anything when the maps were sent. I wanted the FL TOPO and the TX TOPO so I sent both of them at the same time to the SD card, per the instructions. Something must have gone wrong and that is why I want to delete them both from Mapsource to start over again. Thanks. All of the maps are on the "map selection page" on the GPS. Only one at a time is enabled. I will try tonight to uninstall both the TX and the FL maps, and then download them both to mapsource again. The only part that was unwanted is the names Florida Topo_1, etc listed on the TX TOPO selection on the map selection screen on the 450. If I can figure out how to do a screenshot or screensave I will post it so you can see what I mean.

Edited by kwhart

Yes I have the Garmin topo disabled. When I go to the "map selection" screen on the 450T I see three selections, "mti_tx", "Florida Topo", and "TOPO U.S. 100K". Under the "mti_tx it says the exact same thing as the "Florida Topo" does. It reads; Florida Topo_A1, Florida Topo_A2, Florida Topo_A3, and it says this on both the Tx and the Fl topos. I show the Florida and the TOPO 100K disabled. PC with Vista. When I hook the 450T to the PC I can't find the TX or the FL maps. I may not be looking in the right place? What would they be called and what folder? I have them on the SD card.

If you have the Garmin Topo disabled, then you are seeing the 24K maps.

Downloaded and installed the FL topo. Selected a few quads from the TX topo (SE) and a few from the FL topo (NC) and sent them to my OR300 as one gmapsupp.img file.

I am seeing two map sets: FL topo with 'Florida .... etc.' and TX topo also with 'Florida .... etc.'

On the GPSr, each are is displayed properly. You may have to zoom in to the 500' level to see the detailed contours; and even in an area using a contour interval of 5 ft there may not be a contour line in the GPSr's display window - pan around some.

I now remember there was a post a few days ago, either here or on the gpsfiledepot forums, that mentioned something similiar in MapSource or BaseCamp. Garmin has their software assigning the names of the first 3 or 4 quad/tiles in the selected list to both/all mapsets wether or not that quad/tile actually is part of that mapset.

To correct fot this glitch: Select from one mapset and send to your GPSr; then rename that gmapsupp.img file to .......img (ie. TXtopo.img). Clear/delete the selected tiles in MapSource (or close and restart MapSource), select/open the second mapset, select quads/tiles and send to your GPSr, then rename this gmapsupp.img file (ie. FLtopo.img). Each mapset will then correctly list the first 3 or 4 quads/tile within that mapset. BTW - having different mapsets as different files will make it easier to add, update and/or delete individual mapsets. You can also copy them to or from the GPSr/computer amapset at a time - lets you store the lesser used ones on the computer and copy them to the GPSr when needed rather than rebuilding in MapSource.

snowfluerys, I really appreciate it. Thanks for taking the time to look at this. At least now I know I'm not seeing things! ha ha. I have decided that I'm going to delete both the TX topo and the FL topo from the 8GB card and use it in my camera, get two 4GB cards, load one with the TX topo and the other one with the FL topo, because I don't use them together anyway. I appreciate your help. If I completely remove mapsource from the PC and reload it will that delete all the maps on it or will I have to use the uninstall you told me about before? Thanks.

I don't think you understand how your GPS works and what you are seeing on the GPS

If you have the Garmin maps disabled, you are seeing the FL and TX maps on your GPS. If you uncheck the 100K Topo it WILL NOT show on your GPS. So if it is unchecked and you are seeing maps, it is the Texas and FL maps.

If you want to see your 100K topo, you have to check it and uncheck the TX and FL maps. Ignore the "Florida Topo_A1" it is meaningless. What matters is the "mti_tx", "Florida Topo", and "TOPO U.S. 100K"

What snowfleurys told you about renaming files is NOT needed. You can do that (and I do but that is NOT your problem). It appears to be operator error.

Also uninstalling mapsource will not uninstall the FL and TX maps. You don't need to uninstall anything and I would strongly recomend against uninstalling mapsource-that could cause problems.

But I would recomend downloading My Trails at gpsfiledepot (it has coverage for FL but not TX -but I may add TX some day) and also sending it to the GPS with the FL and TX maps.

Actually I do know what I see on my GPS, and I certainly don't think you know what I see. I do know which map I have selected and which one I am looking at. I did just as I said I was going to do except I didn't remove mapsouce, just the maps like snowfluerys said and reloaded the one I want and now it all looks just fine, thanks to snowfluerys.

Edited by kwhart

Now what is going on?? I can't even edit my own posts. Dang!! Okay, figured this one out, you only get one shot at editing per post. Oops, that's not correct either, I guess it's the last post only. Anyway, as far as my original question, I believe I am seeing the 24K topo now, I reloaded all of the maps, some on different SD cards. The 24K topo is definitely better and free from gpsfiledepot.com

Copyofmap_screenshot.jpg

Edited by kwhart

That screen shot is worth a thousands words. I am asuming further down it shows Disabled Topo US 100K-is that correct?

With those setting you will see the tx topo.

Florida Topo and SE USA are both 24K topos that cover FL- I would not enable both of them at the same time. It is hard to tell what will happen.

Garmin does not share its secerts with those of us who make the maps at gpsfiledepot. One thing we do not completely understand is how the GPS determines draw order (which is what you are having issues with). Some things we know are 1) the 100K topos have the lowest draw order (everything covers them up) and City Navigtor has the higest. So having 100K topos enbled does not stop any 24K maps or City Navigator from showing. City navigator covers everything else up (except transparent overlay maps). So having 2 24K maps for FL, there is no way to know what will draw if they are both enabled.

So when you are looking at FL, there is no need to disable the TX topo or the built in 100K maps. If you want to see FL Topo, enable it and kepp SE Topo diabled. If you want to see SE topo, disable FL Topo and enable SE Topo.

Yes, that is correct, the next one is the 100K disabled. I never enable more than one map at a time, I enable the one I want to use. My big concern was and still is why does the "Florida Topo_1" etc show up on every one of them? I guess it is not a big deal except it annoys me. <_< Thank you all, especially you that have made the maps available to all the rest of us, we appreciate it.

Yea the bottom line is does it work. There are lots of weird things that happen. You think that is annoying, in my trail maps, MY trails, if you install all the states, sometimes My Trails will show up in the listing one time and other times it will show up 3 or 4 times. You just have to enable each time it shows up. Its driven me crazy trying to figure it out as it is rather anoying. But I cannot figure out what is causing the problem. But it works. (All my maps have this problem) While Garmin does not share its secerts with us, we can be thankful they do not do anything to stop our maps from working.

PS If you want trails, and many other POIs including navaides, you shoud also install My Trails. You have to enable it and the FL topo map you want to use. It is transparnet so it shows on top of FL Topo.

PSS, if you have not explored profiles, that is the easiest way to switch which maps you see. You can have different profiles for different map configurations. It is much easier to change profiles than enabling and disabling maps.

My big concern was and still is why does the "Florida Topo_1" etc show up on every one of them? I guess it is not a big deal except it annoys me.

As I said in my 11/22 12:36 post, 'Garmin has their software assigning the names of the first 3 or 4 quad/tiles in the selected list to both/all mapsets' even if they are not in that mapset. Until Garmin changes that, we have to live with it, annoying as it may be. As also mentioned the workaround is to select from one mapset, send the data to the GPSr, then rename the gmapsupp.img file. Repeat for each mapset you want on the GPSr/micro memory card.

Edited by snowfleurys
My big concern was and still is why does the "Florida Topo_1" etc show up on every one of them? I guess it is not a big deal except it annoys me.

As I said in my 11/22 12:36 post, 'Garmin has their software assigning the names of the first 3 or 4 quad/tiles in the selected list to both/all mapsets' even if they are not in that mapset. Until Garmin changes that, we have to live with it, annoying as it may be. As also mentioned the workaround is to select from one mapset, send the data to the GPSr, then rename the gmapsupp.img file. Repeat for each mapset you want on the GPSr/micro memory card.

That's the right way to do it. I might add, it's best to have NO gmapsupp.img file on the sd card. Rename all your map files. The reason being:

The name you choose for the file will be the name displayed on the top line of the above screenshot: Enabled - Florida, etc.

The lower line is controlled by the following:

In Mapsource, after you have selected the tiles, the maps appear on the left hand map pane. At the bottom, there is a tab to Name Map Set. Select this and a popup will come up. "Auto name the mapset" will ALWAYS be checked by default. (!) It WILL give your maps whatever name it feels like, including previous maps. This is where the glitch is. Uncheck and rename your mapset to your choice. This information will now be displayed on the lower line of the above screenshot: Florida-A1 Florida-A2, etc.

As pointed out, the lower line doesn't mean too much and can only be changed by reloading the mapset with the desired name. The upper line, however, can be changed at any time by renaming the file on the SD card with windows explorer.

Hope this helps!

NA0G

Now at Zero Gravity, I bet you have one of the new gpsmap62. I've read where they handle the img file names like you describe. I wish the OR handled the naming like that, but they don't. For the OR, they are based on the name of the map, not what the img file is called.

Myotis, do I have this right? If I rename the maps on my uSD card, like Texas24K, Florida24K, TexasBlueChart, etc. and I add another map thru mapsource later to that same uSD card it will not overwrite my other maps? Then I could rename the newly added map and later add some other map? That would be wonderful. Thanks again for your map help, I really appreciate it.

Myotis, do I have this right? If I rename the maps on my uSD card, like Texas24K, Florida24K, TexasBlueChart, etc. and I add another map thru mapsource later to that same uSD card it will not overwrite my other maps? Then I could rename the newly added map and later add some other map? That would be wonderful. Thanks again for your map help, I really appreciate it.

You are correct. If you use the file names as you have indicated the complete file name with extension must be: Texas24K.img, Florida24K.img, and TexasBlueChart.img. It is ok to have spaces in the name. All Mapsource files are transferred to your gps as gmapsupp.img so as long as you don't have an exisiting file named gmapsupp.img no map files will be over-written.

Hot Dog! I can't wait until I get home tonight, I'm gonna play with mapsource and the Oregon. I'm going to build an 8GB uSD card with just about every map I want. Thanks!!!!

Here is something I have run in to, but haven't seen any discussion on it. On my Oregon 400t the maximum number of map files (individually renamed map files) that can be viewed to Enable or Disable is 10 different map .img files. But, you can have 10 on the memory card plus 10 on the GPS's internal memory (if sufficient memory is available) for a total of 20 map files. You can load more than the 10 to either location as menitoned above but after you reach 10 only the first 10 are displayed on the GPS's page where you can Enable or Disable them.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I loaded a new uSD card last night with TX 24K topo, Louisiana 24K topo, Mississippi 24K topo, Alabama 24K topo, Florida 24K topo, and the Texas coast Blue Chart Marine map. It all worked okay except it won't change the names on some of them to what I wanted. Some it did, some it didn't. For example I named the TX topo "Texas24K_Topo.img", but on the map select screen it shows mti_tx for the name, same for the Alabama and Louisiana maps. I renamed them on both the card while I had it in the card reader, and then on the Garmin after I hooked it up to the PC. Oh well, it's not a biggie, I can tell which map is which so I can live with that. After I get back from the Everglades in Feb/Mar I will probably delete all of them except the Texas maps.

Edited by kwhart

Here is something I have run in to, but haven't seen any discussion on it. On my Oregon 400t the maximum number of map files (individually renamed map files) that can be viewed to Enable or Disable is 10 different map .img files. But, you can have 10 on the memory card plus 10 on the GPS's internal memory (if sufficient memory is available) for a total of 20 map files. You can load more than the 10 to either location as menitoned above but after you reach 10 only the first 10 are displayed on the GPS's page where you can Enable or Disable them.

I just tested this on my OR300 with 17 different mapsets in 17 renamed .img files on the micro memory card. All 17 are listed in individual enable/disable boxes, as is the basemap on the OR300's internal memory.

I just tested this on my OR300 with 17 different mapsets in 17 renamed .img files on the micro memory card. All 17 are listed in individual enable/disable boxes, as is the basemap on the OR300's internal memory.

Maybe it's been changed with some of the later updates. I'm curious to see if you keep adding them at what number does it quit putting the map file name in the list where you can Enable / Disable the maps.

When I saw a limit of 10 maps, size and alphabetical order did not matter; it was whatever map was installed last.

edit: I just tried putting 12 renamed map .img files on my memory card and all displayed properly, apparently the 10 file limit was changed with a software update at some point.

Edited by eaparks