Central NY TB Thief

GeoZeus

I don't know about the rest of the country but here in Central NY there appears to be a Travel Bug thief. A day or two after a travel bug is placed it suddenly disappears from the cache. If you check out the numerous travel bugs near the zip code 13205 you will see what I am describing.

Perhaps, someone should put out a travel bug laced with some deadly virus or one that is radio-active and then maybe someother cacher would come across this thief's body still clutching the stolen travel bug. I know this sounds very drastic! Does anyone else have a simpler solution?

"My GPS is great I can still get lost but at least I know where I am!"

Well... killing them is a tad extreme!

Do you watch these bugs once they disappear? Do any mysteriously show up again? I'm wondering this because there is a minority of cachers who do not log finds online, and maybe then the bugs are placed in another cache without being logged?

Some people are born great, some achieve greatness, and some just grate

Has anyone done some research and maybe figured out the radius of the disappearing bugs? Maybe putting a short moratorium on bug trading, then perhaps the thief will lose interest after not seeing any bugs. I know I would be a little put out if my bugs traveled through the area and was stolen. I have lost a few to one-time cachers thinking it would be neat to take the bug and then never cache again.

It appears as if the TBs are logged in by a geocacher and then the next person to visit the site, whether it be the next day or next few days, observes the TB is no longer in the site. There doesn't seem the be log entries in the cache log book or on geocaching.com.

Actually I was being a little tongue in cheek about doing something to a TB before placing it in a cache. But there are quite a few caches in central NY that supposedly have TBs but the TBs are MIA. Check it out for yourself by entering the zipcode 13205 on the cache search page.

"My GPS is great I can still get lost, but at least I know where I am!"