power in car

musthavemuzk

i have a 62s and i am wondering if there is a way to have power to it while in the car to use the turn by turn navigation? not using batteries i mean.

Monty

The below assumes that the 62s doesn't jump directly into "USB Storage" mode when it sees a USB powered cable (like the Dakota). I haven't had one in my hands to try that yet, and don't know if it has the newer configuration (like the newer Oregons) that allows you to set whether it does so. Someone else needs to assure on that point.

Consider one of the many USB car adapters that are available. That's what they're for. They're often called "chargers" because they're used with devices that are capable of using only a single battery chemistry (typically lithium ion packs), but don't let that put you off. It won't charge anything (the 62 can't do that) but it will power the device.

Be certain that you're getting one with the appropriate connector (MiniB), or more easily, just get one with a standard USB A type connector (some have a couple of these) and use an ordinary USB A to MiniB cable to do the job. Some of them are really low profile now: http://www.amazon.com/elago-EL-Car-001-Cha...7985&sr=8-2

Edited by ecanderson

I had tried out the 62s and my Blackberry adapter worked fine but you had to go into the setting and change it over to "spanner" mode. Then when you plugged it in it would ask if you want to go into mass storage. If you are in your car you select no, if you are connecting to your PC select yes.

+1