Topo maps for Oregon 450

KRUZZIN 2

My GPSr just arrived and of course I'm eager to get out there hunting. I took the advice of many of you and bought the unit without maps so now I need them.

Two questions:

1. For Canda the Ibycus maps have been recommended but, unfortunately, can no longer be downloaded from the creator's site and I've watched the YouTube tutorials on how to do it with BitTorrent. I'm only a little bit techy and would rather have a root canal than attempt that. I can always send Dale $25 for a CD but I'm in a hurry. Is it possible for somebody who has these maps to email them to me. It's likely a huge file but could be zipped? Does anybody know how much space they take up in the GPSr? It has 850MB of internal RAM. Would I need an SD card?

2. For the US can anybody point me to good, downloadable maps that don't require a graduate degree in computer science to get?

Thanks for your help. This forum has been absolutely great. Cachers are obviously like squash players, a bit of a family.

Cheers.

the ibycus maps are several gigs in size. totally impossible to email that, even zipped.

that also answers the second part of your question: the oregon can't hold all of them at once without memory expansion. however, when installing them, you can select which pieces you want to install, and you can easily fit more than you'd ever need without getting on a plane.

your general resource for free maps is http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

you will want to download and install mapsource to use most of them.

You don't need maps to go out and hunt some caches, most of the time.

Check http://garmin.na1400.info for routable street maps (and some trails as well). You select the tiles, and it packages it and send you an email when done. If you download the one that comes as osm_routable_gmapsupp.zip, all you need to do is download it, unzip, and copy it to your GPSr, in the \Garmin folder. If there is another in there with the same name, rename this one to something else (e.g. gmapsup2.img).

On your Garmin, under setup, maps, you can select which map to enable or disable.

Edited by Chrysalides

Hi. I would suggest using utorrent to get the ibycus canada map. I downloaded it when I was selling an etrex to someone from Canada. Utorrent works well. When you install it the program will associate itself with torrent files. Click on the ibycus torrent file and utorrent will start downloading. Easy! I can send you the setup file for utorrent and the torrent file for the ibycus canada maps if you want.

Hi. I would suggest using utorrent to get the ibycus canada map. I downloaded it when I was selling an etrex to someone from Canada. Utorrent works well. When you install it the program will associate itself with torrent files. Click on the ibycus torrent file and utorrent will start downloading. Easy! I can send you the setup file for utorrent and the torrent file for the ibycus canada maps if you want.

With a lot of help from dfx got the maps and they're loaded! Now all I have to do is figure out how to use the 450 with the maps and cache info.

With a lot of help from dfx got the maps and they're loaded! Now all I have to do is figure out how to use the 450 with the maps and cache info.

Good day,

I have been trying to download the Ibycus topo Canada maps with no success.

I also do not require all of Canada, just the maps for Newfoundland and Southern Labrador for now.

I am hearing that the Ibycus Topo maps are the closest thing to the maps that I am used to using from the local Forestry office. 1 /50000.

I found a site that has maps produced by Ibycus ( http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/maplist.php?skip=10&text=12I )

Can someone tell me if these maps are what I hope they are, and if they are compatible with my Oregon 450 ( new , still learning ).

I believe I will need a program to manipulate these files as I would like to overlay the map information( contors. UTMs and other map info ) onto a staelite or ariel photos to mak custom maps fot my GPS unit.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide