Lost and Found

papascooby1

On Sunday 7th Nov A gps system was found in the Hawes area of north yorkishire and handed in to me. I have a suspicion that it belongs to a fellow cacher as there were some likely co ordinates logged into it.

If this is yours and you can tell me where you think you lost it and the make and model i will gladly return it to you, (you did actualy ask me if id seen it but at that point it hadn't been handed in).

If you own a Garmin Oregon (and maybe all Garmins), you can edit a file on the unit that displays some text when it starts up. I changed mine to say "PokerLuck's GPS". If I ever lose it and someone as considerate as the OP finds it, they'll hopefully have a way to contact me.

People might want to check their units to see if they have a similar option.

All three of the Garmins' I've owned have had a place to enter my info on it. It's one of the first things I did when I got my new GPSr.

The 60CSx is Menu>Setup>Welcome. If I remember correctly so was the 60.

It didn't help me get back the 60 that was stolen but I figure the whole back pack ended up in a dumpster when the thieves that broke into my van figured out that there was nothing of value to them in it.

If you own a Garmin Oregon (and maybe all Garmins), you can edit a file on the unit that displays some text when it starts up. I changed mine to say "PokerLuck's GPS". If I ever lose it and someone as considerate as the OP finds it, they'll hopefully have a way to contact me.

People might want to check their units to see if they have a similar option.

Most of the new ones do... Not my old one.. the 45xl... for old or other units... the old ID tape under the battery still works well... Don't give an exact address... a general location and please take to police there... and or a

general (hotmail or gmail) email address for contact... you don't want to tell everyone exactly where you live, without knowing who THEY are...

Even without that, I've returned 3 cameras and a cell phone over the last 3 years... and haven't had to look at the pics yet... not bad for a small town where everyone knows everyone else...

Doug 7rxc

...Don't give an exact address... a general location and please take to police there... and or a

general (hotmail or gmail) email address for contact... you don't want to tell everyone exactly where you live, without knowing who THEY are...

If your name and address are publicly available in the phone book (and therefore on the web on sites such as whitepages.com etc.) why would you worry about them being on your GPS? :)

becasue when somone dodgey finds your GPS a long way away from your home, they can assume you are also a long way from home and therfore that your house is empty,

That would be a pretty reckless assumption. My GPS and I are frequently hundreds of miles apart. In fact, if I lost my GPS and someone else found it, the only thing they could safely assume about my location is that it is not where my GPS is.

...Don't give an exact address... a general location and please take to police there... and or a

If your name and address are publicly available in the phone book (and therefore on the web on sites such as whitepages.com etc.) why would you worry about them being on your GPS? :laughing:

Actually, I'm not really worried about it. Many people are. In my case, I'm simply easier to reach by email... and prefer to give out my general use email address rather than my family only one. It's the same one people can use through my profile here. I don't currently have a telephone, I borrow time on someone elses. As for the town, province, to local police please! part, Police are a defacto lost and found in many locations. IF I'm away, the police station staff are there. IF I lost it travelling, other police can forward it internally to there. Aside from that, The local people there know me through SAR and Emergency Services (including ARES) work...

I assume that all or part of that is often the case with others... other posters seem to agree with the " don't " concept for their own reasons... That's a personal choice. On my newer aquisition, I do give most information in the owner information... The tag concept was for my original 45xl, which has no place for that.. other than the battery compartment and is space restricted a bit in there... so small is a factor.

Of course I prefer NOT to lose my GPS at all... don't you... speaking of which, where did I put it this time?

and that's just on my desk...

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc