A Midwest Geocaching Road Trip

Several months ago in one of the threads discussing the ET Highway Power Trail, I mentioned that instead of going for large numbers, several of us would travel somewhere we haven’t cached, and try to pick up a couple of states we haven’t cached in. I mentioned the trips we had done in the past: Chicago area for WI, IL, IN, MI; New Orleans to get LA, MI, AL, and FL, as well as the plan for 2010: Kansas City to get MO, IA, NE, SD and KS. We have only three basic rules:

1) Log at least one cache in each state

2) Eat good food whenever possible

3) Have a good time

Several people commented that this was great idea, and would try to arrange a similar trip themselves. We recently returned from the Man Bud Crew Midwest Run (MBCMWR), and I thought I’d share our experience.

Prep work started nearly a year before the actual trip. We looked for a central city that we could fly into, that was within striking distance of several states. We settled on flying into Kansas City, and travel and cache through MO, IA, NE, SD and KS. At this point I posted a note in the local forum, looking for cache and meal suggestions. Based on suggestions from local cachers and a rather intensive scan of caches along our route, I started putting a bookmark list together (I figured this would yield better results than sweeping pocket queries). We looked for scenic views, clever caches, etc. One local cacher suggested we head into Winterset, IA and see the Bridges of Madison County and John Wayne’s birthplace (we took their advice). Our basic plan was set. The team this trip consisted of AmazingTed, Nerves, Nomad64 and myself.

With only a few weeks to go, Nerves suggested we set up an event in Omaha on Sunday night, with the hope of meeting some of the locals. We did, using one of the brew pubs that a local had recommended.

We Landed in KC on Saturday and started. A quick cache and then we had yummy BBQ at the Smokehouse BBQ. We cached our way to Winterset, IA, where we spent the afternoon photographing covered bridges, visiting the John Wayne museum and caching. There were some terrific caches in the area, including a virtual at a stone tower with great sweeping views of the valley. After dinner at a local eatery we headed to Omaha to overnight. Of course we grabbed a few caches along the way.

coveredwagon.jpgbridge2.jpg

johnwaynestatue.jpgtower2.jpg

The next day we headed north towards Ponca State Park in Nebraska, caching as we went. We grabbed a quick breakfast and some cake and pie to go. Ponca State Park had very nice views into NE, IA and SD across the Missouri River. After grabbing the Earthcache there, we headed into SD for a couple of quick finds (and a chance to eat our desserts!). We drove back to Omaha along the local highway (vice Interstate) to grab some caches and enjoy the scenery (very glad we did!).

earthcachetower1.jpgallumcrewwithriver.jpg

blackbirdview.jpgwebcamwithflag.jpg

We grabbed a Puzzle and Webcam cache in Omaha before heading to the Upstream Brewing Company for dinner (steak!) and then the event. Over 30 locals showed up, and we enjoyed the conversation, and the swapping of stories and geocoins. We awarded some Little Rhody geocoins (congrats to the winners), had a few more beers and headed to the hotel. The event was a great idea, and we plan on continuing to hold when we make our road trips.

We grabbed two more Omaha caches (thanks to Sioneva for the suggestions) and then headed back to Kansas City. We found a couple of caches on the drive, and then hit a few in a lakeside park in Kansas (I reached milestone #1800!). We grabbed lunch at Arthur Bryant’s (a full pound of BBQ meat – yum!) and were off to the airport.

bridgewires.jpgbluebirdgroup.jpg

In all, the trip was a blast, and we all had a great time (again). Over the three days we found 50 caches, crossed off 5 states, and drove over 800 miles. We ate more than our share of great food (mmmm, BBQ!) and drank our share of beer and wine. We met some wonderful people, and hopefully we’ll get a chance to see them again in the future (they all have an open invitation to come to New England and host an event for us to attend!). We’ll all remember the trip for a long time.

Hopefully our trip will inspire others to go on similar trips and see areas and locations you wouldn’t normally get a chance to see. While we certainly didn’t set any “records”, we had fun, and enjoyed the adventure.

(And yes, I am already looking to the next trip!)

Edited by BBWolf+3Pigs