how to get a text message for new caches?

:DK

Hi, hopefully someone can help me. I am wanting to know how to get text alerts sent to my phone when there is a new cache listed. I have it set up where i get an email, but i want it set to get texts. i am a premium member. i do not have a smart phone.. just a regular old cell phone. i have looked and looked but cant figure it out. i know a while back in yahoo mail you could configure it to text you when you got mail from certain addresses, but i cannot figure out how to do this anymore... please help me!! thanks!!

Hi, hopefully someone can help me. I am wanting to know how to get text alerts sent to my phone when there is a new cache listed. I have it set up where i get an email, but i want it set to get texts. i am a premium member. i do not have a smart phone.. just a regular old cell phone. i have looked and looked but cant figure it out. i know a while back in yahoo mail you could configure it to text you when you got mail from certain addresses, but i cannot figure out how to do this anymore... please help me!! thanks!!

Some cell providers assign unique email addresses to their phone numbers that can be used to send SMS messages through email. Who is your service provider?

Rather than getting mine as an SMS, I have them sent as an MMS. SMS messages are limited to 160 characters, and depending on your provider/phone type, the message could be broken up into multiple messages, making it hard to read.

By sending it as an MMS, everything is included in one message. Also, the links are live, so I can just tap it and go directly to the cache page.

Or, if you have an iPhone and use the Geocaching app, when you tap the link to the cache page, you have the option of having it automatically launch the GC app and bring up that cache, so you can quickly route to it.

Editing to add that the official Android app may do something similar, but I'm not certain since I don't have one.

Edited by Skippermark

i tried using my phones email, but the website wants me to click a link to verify the address, and i do not have internet on my phone. i would just be happy with a text stating : hey there is a new geocache, go find it.. lol..

Well, what you would get is the first 160 characters of the standard cache notification email converted to a text message. So you tell us your provider, we use the sms list wiki link a couple of posts up, and help you do it. Unless you've already figured it out. B)

verizon.. i already know the phones email address, its just when i signed it up to recieve notifications, i got a text that said click the link the verify the email. i cant click the link in my phone because i do not have email..

Edited by ffemt1721

Setup your notification just as you normally would, but when you get to the part where it says 'SEND TO:' enter the following:

number@vtext.com

Replace the word 'number' with your 10 digit cell phone number (That would be area code plus your seven digit phone number).

This method should work so that when a new cache is published within the citeria you set up you should receive an SMS text message to your phone. Being limited to 160 characters means that you will have to then get to a computer to look up all of the cache info. Within the 160 characters that are sent will be the cache name and cache's GC number so you can look it up...

A possible workaround to the verification process is to get a gmail account, have the notifications sent to gmail, and set up a forward rule that anything with the same heading as the publication heading gets forwarded to your phone.

No need for a workaround. Just type the verification address the system sends to your phone into the browser on your computer.

A possible workaround to the verification process is to get a gmail account, have the notifications sent to gmail, and set up a forward rule that anything with the same heading as the publication heading gets forwarded to your phone.

No need for a workaround. Just type the verification address the system sends to your phone into the browser on your computer.

problem solved... i had tried this the other night, but my phone didnt get the whole address.. i had it resend code and this time it got the whole address.. thanks all!!!

Well, with gmail, Yahoo, or some other web-based email account, wouldn't you still have a "copy" of all the emails when you log in on the web? And you could just reply to that email? I wouldn't think SMS forwarding would remove the emails from the Yahoo or Gmail inbox.

But I'm just muddying the waters here, OP said "problem solved". :laughing: