Problems uploading a photo

JackieInLR

I guess that it's a known issue, and that Groundspeak is working on it. If you resize your photos beforehand (I can't remember how small), then they may go through.

Personally, I'm not going to mess with resizing. If I had to do that with all my photos, I'd go crazy. I really hope that Groundsepak fixes this soon, because I have a lot of photos to post.

This has been happening to me for the past 3 weeks or so. I was on vacation and did quite a few earth/virutal caches and can't upload the pics. Have been getting the same error as you and I have tried on 3 different computers. Have had a 10 finds deleted because of this and am getting very frustrated. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got into this only a few days ago and I can't make a profile pic or upload pics of me with the cache on the log. I don't get as far as getting an error message. Can the picture come from my hard drive or does it have to be online already? If so...how do you put a picture online ?

Edited by BenderCo

I just tried to put some pics on some of my caches and I was getting the "error homepage" message...

BenderCo, when I try to post a pic, I first log the find, then go back to the cache page, and under where my log is, I hit "Upload and image for this log" then it lets you take your pics from your hard-drive. I put all my caching pictures into a folder on my "desktop" so it's easier for me to find them on there then rummaging through other files/folders....Hope this helps...But you still might get the "error" message everyone's talking about- I hope they fix it soon!

I just tried to put some pics on some of my caches and I was getting the "error homepage" message...

BenderCo, when I try to post a pic, I first log the find, then go back to the cache page, and under where my log is, I hit "Upload and image for this log" then it lets you take your pics from your hard-drive. I put all my caching pictures into a folder on my "desktop" so it's easier for me to find them on there then rummaging through other files/folders....Hope this helps...But you still might get the "error" message everyone's talking about- I hope they fix it soon!

Good idea keeping caching photos in a separate file on your desktop...I may just follow your example!

Add my name to the list of frustrated geocachers trying to upload pics! :unsure: Customer service was no help. She never even told me that they changed the format and that's what the problem was. I thought it was my computer until I read the foums. ;):) She told me to resize my pics and I use Piscasa, but when I click on browse and go to Piscasa, it uploads every pic I have in the file!! It won't give me the option of which pic to upload. Very, very frustrating as I love taking lots of pics.!!

Today is the first time I have read about the 600x450 pixel rule. The site always resized after uploading before te October update. Even after resizing it was a no-go for me, so I've given up again. Until next month's update - or the one after!

Are we able to upload to the cache page from an external host like Flickr? If so....anyone care to explain in simple terms, for a computer simpleton like myself, how to? Thanks in advance!

Someone resized by 25% and said that worked OK. I tried, (and was successful!) uploading a pic to my cache gallery as a test without resizing. However, when I tried the same thing to one particular cache log, again it was a no-go. I have now given up on that one.

I believe that there has been an increase in size allowed for photo uploading in the latest update.....

I've been getting the same error message since the last site upgrade. Has anyone else noticed that the field where the file name goes when you browse to the photo is greyed out? It looks as if for some reason, planned or not, the feature isn't available. I don't think it has anything to do with the filesize at all as the box is greyed out before you select the file you want to upload.

Edited by Tizzie

I'm a newbie, about 2 weeks into this game. I had no problems uploading photos last weekend (I believe directly from my GPSr) and I just uploaded another pictue from my computer. Everything is working fine for me.

Glad you are having success with geocaching and picture uploading! Welcome to the fun also. May I ask if you resized any of the photos you uploaded to the cache logs? Maybe there has been a fix I have not been aware of.

Someone resized by 25% and said that worked OK. I tried, (and was successful!) uploading a pic to my cache gallery as a test without resizing. However, when I tried the same thing to one particular cache log, again it was a no-go.

25% seems to fix it for some, I`ve recommended it to a couple people and it seemed to work. Has worked for me as well.

an increase in size allowed for photo uploading in the latest update.....

File size, or picture size?

I *think* I read in the release notes an increase in "picture size." Hadn't realised there was possibly a decrease which could have caused issues for me. How do you reduce it by 25%? I should be playing with photos to work it out myself, I know..........

edit to add :- found under Bug Fixes in Release Notes re the December update - "23745 upload of large image to cache or log produces server error.

Increased allowable image size to prevent server error."

Edited by popokiiti