Plotting GC Location from the Web?

offseid

Hey all, pretty new cacher here. That is, I'm pretty new and a cacher. Not pretty and a new cacher. Trust me on this one. B)

Quick question. I have over here a combination of perhaps poor satellite reception and perhaps a not-so-hot GPS unit (in my Nokia 5800). I can usually find a cache if the hints are good, but sometimes my accuracy is not better than 150ft or so. If I'm at 2-digit accuracy I get really excited.

So I'm looking to hide a cache, and I read that when you're hiding one you should take an average of 7-10 readings, walking away and coming back for each one. But wouldn't I perhaps get a more accurate set of coordinates by simply plotting them on Google Maps (zoomed all the way in) through a site like iTouchMap.com?

I'm sure there are purists out there who think that's cheating, but then again, some people go geocaching with nothing but the printed out pages (with hints decrypted), right? I just want to avoid having to go back and edit the coordinates because I couldn't provide good ones from the start.

Anyway, would appreciate your opinions on this! Thanks...

Welcome to the forums.

If you are going to place a cache, please be sure that you read and really understand the Cache Listing Requirements/Guidelines.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

You as the owner of the cache must visit the site and obtain the coordinates with a GPS. GPS usage is an essential element of geocaching. Therefore, although it is possible to find a cache without a GPS, the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions

Welcome to the forums.

You as the owner of the cache must visit the site and obtain the coordinates with a GPS. GPS usage is an essential element of geocaching. Therefore, although it is possible to find a cache without a GPS, the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions

Hi, thanks for your reply, I appreciate it! Yes, I have read the guidelines (more than once) - but I figured that accuracy of the coordinates would be more important than "technical purity" using the GPS for the final reading. Obviously, in a perfect world we'd have perfect plotting! :angry: So would you suggest, then, that I just get the best coordinates I can from my GPS, and just edit the entry later as necessary?

I would suggest you wait to hide a cache until you have access to a GPS that can provide reasonably accurate coordinates. Perhaps you can borrow one. Hiding a cache with what you know to be inadequate coordinates is not fair to those who try to find it. It can also lead to people looking in places they shouldn't. Hiding caches requires being able to obtain accurate coordinates - (accurate to 30 or 40 ft) If you can't do that, please don't try to hide one.

Team Taran

Edited by Team Taran

im new to Caching myself infact I havent even logged any finds yet,but one thing I do know is GPS and I am in love with my Rino 530HCx by Garmin, but it might be a litle overkill for just Caching I am a huge kayak fisherman in Florida and am out on the Flats all thetime and if you dont have a GPS your as good as dead. Im on my second unit no fault of Garmins, I accidently threw it away while after having a few to many drinks and the urge to clean, but its a great unit, its made to be beat and submerged at the same time in both fresh and salt water plus it has the radio option which is one of the main reasons I went for this particular unit (I also saw a special on the Military Channel and the Special Forces use this same device) IT IS NOT CHEAP AND NEITHER IS THE MAPPING SOFTWARE but I depend my life on it especially when its over 100 degreesand im 10 miles out and everything looks the same no matter which way you go or look and there is no frehwater around. Garmin in general, my opinion, makes the best units out there, there are a few others that I thought about replacing my last Rino with but just couldnt sacrifice the quality for price. Good luck, study up :angry:

So I'm looking to hide a cache, and I read that when you're hiding one you should take an average of 7-10 readings, walking away and coming back for each one. But wouldn't I perhaps get a more accurate set of coordinates by simply plotting them on Google Maps (zoomed all the way in) through a site like iTouchMap.com?

maybe, maybe not. google maps (which is what the site you posted is using) has a certain level of accuracy when it comes to their aerial imagery, similar to a GPS receiver. this level of accuracy varies from location to location. the problem is that you don't know how accurate the images are in a given location. they can have sub-meter accuracy, or they can be hundreds of meters off. you just don't know.

Edited by dfx

"

maybe, maybe not. google maps (which is what the site you posted is using) has a certain level of accuracy when it comes to their aerial imagery, similar to a GPS receiver. this level of accuracy varies from location to location. the problem is that you don't know how accurate the images are in a given location. they can have sub-meter accuracy, or they can be hundreds of meters off. you just don't know.

"

Good Point! And THERE'S the crook of the matter. You have no idea of how accurate Google Maps are in your area. In my area, they're spot on. And then there's Google Earth, which is another matter altogether.

All too often, caches placed by (some) newbies with have poor coordinates. This is EXTREMELY frustrating to those who take the time to go after their caches.

Placing a cache carries the commitment of maintaining it for years and years. Based on that commitment alone, you should at least look for a decent used unit can be had for under $50. A decent unit will also add immeasurably to your geocaching satisfaction, both in finding and hiding caches. What good will Google Maps do you when hiding something in the woods?

Barring that, team up with a local geocacher for assistance in obtaining coordinates. There are always local events where you can make contacts. Of course, this means not being able to claim FTF on your cache!

Edited by michigansnorkelers

Barring that, team up with a local geocacher for assistance in obtaining coordinates. There are always local events where you can make contacts. Of course, this means not being able to claim FTF on your cache!

First off, I appreciate everyone's feedback, and in my response here I hope I don't sound overly defensive. But it sounds like I won't be hiding a cache after all. Kinda frustrating because geocaching is NOT a thing here [in Malaysia]. Cachers are very few and very far between. The state in which I live has a handful of caches - certainly not more than a dozen, and that includes at least 3 earthcaches. In my immediate area (driving less than an hour) there are 3 listed on Geocaching, and two of those are missing the cache. I was hoping to contribute to the community by planting some in the area.

As to the comment (quoted) above, I guarantee you there are NO local events in my area, and perhaps not even in Malaysia. Local geocachers? Nope. The guy who planted a couple/few caches in my area doesn't even live here - he lives overseas.

Do I really need a "real" GPS? Is it possible that the satellite signals here just aren't great? The Nokia 5800 got 3.5 stars on Geocaching from over 600 reviews, so it can't be crap, right? I can't really justify the purchase of a dedicated GPS device just to find a handful of caches. As for maintaining caches I place, I have no problem with that.

Appreciate your comments regarding the accuracy (or not) of Google Maps. Point taken.

Okay, all for now. Thanks again.

offseid,

I understand your frustration. In an area which has so few caches you would like to expand the game of geocaching.

Here's an idea: Go and hide a cache somewhere. Take the co-ords of the cache location several times, walking in onto the location from different direction from maybe 50-100 metres away. Then do exactly the same thing the next day. Are the co-ords the same? Close?

Average out all the co-ords you've taken, put the final result into your Nokia 5800 and then give your phone to friend. See if they can find the cache. Go with them on the hunt - but don't give them ANY clues :rolleyes:

This will give you a practical demonstration of just how accurate (or inaccurate) your phone co-ords are.

MrsB

Here's an idea: Go and hide a cache somewhere. Take the co-ords of the cache location several times, walking in onto the location from different direction from maybe 50-100 metres away. Then do exactly the same thing the next day. Are the co-ords the same? Close?

Average out all the co-ords you've taken, put the final result into your Nokia 5800 and then give your phone to friend. See if they can find the cache. Go with them on the hunt - but don't give them ANY clues :rolleyes:

This will give you a practical demonstration of just how accurate (or inaccurate) your phone co-ords are.

MrsB

Thanks much for your helpful reply! I just may give that a shot. The place where I'd hide the first cache is a place I go to frequently, so I could get a couple/few readings each time, see how it averages out. We'll see!

MrsB

Thanks much for your helpful reply! I just may give that a shot. The place where I'd hide the first cache is a place I go to frequently, so I could get a couple/few readings each time, see how it averages out. We'll see!

Best reply yet, MrsB! :)

When you take your coordinates, be sure to approach from different directions. Average out your coordinate readings over several readings and if possible on different days. I think you will find that you can get coordinates that are accurate enough if you are persistent.

Good luck, and don't give up!