Garmin Dakota 10

FoxFam4

I started my first ever thread recently asking for advice about one of the Etrex models I was considering purchasing. One of the replies I received was advising me to perhpas spend a little more and go for one of the paperless geocaching units.

I have been browsing around on Amazon and nearly all the Amazon reviews for the Dakota 10 unit seem to be excellent. I am aware this is an entry level paperless unit but it seems as though it is value for money at 140 GBP / 225 USD.

I was wondering if anyone on here has the same unit and agrees with these reviews?

The only issue the reviews pointed out was the very poor quality of the base map which I understand is a problem on alot of the Garmin units.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Solid little unit, and could be considered with two provisos: [1] You're not planning to add much in the way of maps to it. It has no provision for uSD card. [2] You haven't already become accustomed to using the mag compass on another unit to shoot bearings to a cache. If you are, you'll miss it.

Those two features are the primary distinguishing points between the Dakota 10 and the Dakota 20 (which I do own).

If you go with the Dakota, be sure to log in and get your firmware updated to the latest. The last release added a number of nice new features.

Considering the basemap on these little guys is worldwide, it's not fair to expect too much from them. If you don't go haywire with map loads, you'll find some free map support in a couple of places for both topo maps and routable maps.

You will find, what you think not needing today, might be a must tomorrow.

I totally agree. I got a Dakota 10 and used it for a while, but lack of SD card, and no electronic compass started to become annoying. This little unit has great battery life, and was surprisingly good in tree cover. The screen wasn't as crisp as the new Oregons or the 62s, but still very readable. The compass will only be accurate as long as you are moving. If you stop moving and turn around, the compass wont reflect your movements, as it uses the changes in co-ordinates to plot your direction.

Also another vote for upgrading the firmware - this adds some nice little features (like inputing co-ords for the next stage of a multi)

I bought a Dakota 10, and am perfectly happy with it. I have a 60cx also. I put most of Pennsylvania topos and the eastern part of the state street (all free), the 2000 geocaches, piles of custom pois, and still didn't run out of room. I am impressed with this little unit. We found over 100 caches so far with it. I haven't touched the 60 since. I just wanted to be sure I could depend on the Dakota. I can.

If you need to put maps in all over the country at once, then get a unit with the card... If not, the 10 will be fine.

We have been extremely happy with our Dakota 10. We have found only 70 caches with it so far and plan on finding many more. The user interface is very quick and easy to navigate. The different profiles are a joy to setup and use when you are not geocaching. I got it bundled with the Citynavigator 2010 maps which is just awesome to use on 'Automotive' profile for true routing on roads.