GeoCrush

This link is from a post by Jeremy in another thread.

GeoCrush

So, what do you think?

I think it's yet another Groundspeak created geocaching feature that's effectively only available to those that live in the Seattle area. As I see it, every premium member throughout the world pays the same amount for their membership, yet those that happen to live in the Puget Sound area can reap benefits that 99% of us can't enjoy.

Yes, it's possible for anyone to travel to the area to get one of the caches specifically created for the event and the souvenir art associated with it, but for those that don't live in the Puget Sounds area it means some potentially very expensive travel in order to participate. If I wanted to participate is would cost me $311 in airfare, and at least $200 additional expenses for accommodations and food if I spent two nights in Seattle.

GeoCrush

So, what do you think?

I think it's yet another Groundspeak created geocaching feature that's effectively only available to those that live in the Seattle area. As I see it, every premium member throughout the world pays the same amount for their membership, yet those that happen to live in the Puget Sound area can reap benefits that 99% of us can't enjoy.

Yes, it's possible for anyone to travel to the area to get one of the caches specifically created for the event and the souvenir art associated with it, but for those that don't live in the Puget Sounds area it means some potentially very expensive travel in order to participate. If I wanted to participate is would cost me $311 in airfare, and at least $200 additional expenses for accommodations and food if I spent two nights in Seattle.

It isn't a feature - it is a series of geocaches. If you can find someone local who can get in touch with us to do a similar concept, we're all ears.

So if someone not associated with the frog comes up with a series of caches, they too can have a page full of information and video clips on the geocaching.com website outside of the cache pages?

I'd be willing to bet if they spent some time talking to Groundspeak and working out the details, then yeah. Partnerships are formed all the time.

If some random cacher just "comes up" with a series all on his lonesome I wouldn't expect to see the same results.

"If someone just walks up and says "I'd like the log book..." :P

I'm all for cool new partnerships, and am not tweaked that this one happens to be in the frog's back pond. But how is that geocaching? I said the same thing about the few Star Spangled Banner Trail ones that I found at National Park locations too.

Psst-NYPaddler-I bet you could reach those in the Baltimore DC area in an easy day's drive!

GeoCrush

So, what do you think?

It isn't a feature - it is a series of geocaches. If you can find someone local who can get in touch with us to do a similar concept, we're all ears.

Perhaps I assumed that souvenirs could be awarded for each of the GeoCrush locations, and that the geocaches themselves would only exist during the month of October when the ArtCrush event occurs (thus, being an exception to the cache permanence guideline).

I was in the Cooperstown, NY area a few months ago and found a brochure in my hotel which described an art tour in that area which allegedly had a geocache located near each spot on the tour. The brochure had a link to the geocaching.com site as well as a link a site for the tour itself. When I visited that site it seemed to be broken so I assumed that I was looking at an old brochure. In any case, it's an example of an art store + geocaching event that took place and seem to have at least some local promotion.

There is also something in my area called the Greater Ithaca Art Trail (http://www.arttrail.com/) and I've actually considered placing some caches at some of the locations but since they're all private property and might be considered commercial in nature I never pursued it. If GS was interested in working with the Greater Ithaca Art Trail I'd be happy to help coordinate efforts locally.

How about a souvenir for the Great Lakes Seaway Geotrail? http://www.seawaytrail.com/geotrail.html