Just want to rant about when people steal, vandalize or damage your caches

I dislike when people steal, vandalize or damage your cache that you placed. You invested your time to find the location to hide your cache, made or purchased the container and then it's ready to go for others to find. With in time you find out that there have been several DNF's ( Did Not Finds ) and then you go and check why the cache has not been found and find out that your cache is gone. It's just a bummer when that happens & it gets old to replace the caches over and over. All I like to say is... Leave the cache that you found and please do not steal, vandalize or damage other peoples caches out there. Don't spoil our fun and let's enjoy this fun hobby we all love to share with others. Thanks

This happened to me. I had placed a cache near a small lake not far from my house. My sons go down there to fish fairly often, and a lot of the local kids hang out there. The cache was a camo'ed can well hidden in some berry brambles. Well one of my sons told me that it had been found by the muggles. They had stomped the can flat, used the log to start a fire and either destoryed or stole the swag. The worst part was that a TB was lost that had traveled over 12,000 miles.

I've never like the term "muggles" but I know it's accepted use here.

People who destroy stuff for grins are vandals, not muggles. There are other appropriate terms that probably don't belong on this forum.

However, the concept of calling folks who are actively caching and don't put stuff back properly "Geomuggles" somehow appeals to me.

I dislike when people steal, vandalize or damage your cache that you placed. You invested your time to find the location to hide your cache, made or purchased the container and then it's ready to go for others to find. With in time you find out that there have been several DNF's ( Did Not Finds ) and then you go and check why the cache has not been found and find out that your cache is gone. It's just a bummer when that happens & it gets old to replace the caches over and over. All I like to say is... Leave the cache that you found and please do not steal, vandalize or damage other peoples caches out there. Don't spoil our fun and let's enjoy this fun hobby we all love to share with others. Thanks

I hear ya.

Sunday, we had planned to find 30 geocaches around Burke Lake, VA. It's 5.4 mile walk around the lake, so with all the geocircling, we planned an easy 8 mile hike.

Sometime between when we'd loaded the GPSs on Friday and when we started walking on Sun, someone had sabotaged over a dozen of the caches. It was extremely frustrating having one DNF after another.

During the month of Nov, "NitroStein" had hidden 17 new caches around the lake. 12 of those are gone now.

Even tho a couple of older caches are also missing, his lot was obviously targeted. I think it was the park rangers but I'm not sure we'll ever find out what happened.