Garmin Nuvi 1300

rpian

Went on my first geocaching today, with a friend, nice day but couldn't find anything :blink:

I think part of the problem was using the Garmin. I was so proud, I figured out how to download the coordinates to my Garmin, LOL :) But then when we got to the start of the trail I had no clue how to use Garmin!

I found the caches under "Favorites" , we figured out how to put Garmin in "Pedestrian" and "off Road" mode, but the route it gave us didn't help because the dot representing us didn't move as we moved so we couldn't tell if we were getting closer to the cach.

Anyone know what I was doing wrong?

We ended just setting it to "Where am I" and going by the coordinates, still didn't find anything....

I'm also using a Nuvi, and i have to say it's not ideal - but it is workable.

One thing I've found is that once you set it on to your co-ords, you should walk randomly in a straight line for a few steps so it figures out where you are. You'll then see the icon moving, I'm pretty sure. Try also zooming in as much as you can, it'll make it more obvious which direction you're heading, and you'll see the Nuvi pick up your movement.

I don't know about your model, but mine tends to give me an "arriving at destination" alert a bit early. Double check you're actually at the co-ords, and if not, continue on in the same direction.

Mine does seem to be convinced I'm lying about being in pedestrian mode.

Don't know if that helps, but I hope it does.

What you are doing wrong is using an automotive unit for geocaching. It can work but it's not the ideal tool. It's kind of like playing tennis with a baseball bat, using the heel of a shoe to hammer in a nail or using a butter knife as a screwdriver. It works, but there is a better tool for the job. For geocaching that tool is a hand held GPS.

When you get to where you want to start your search, go to main screen and press the satellite strength bars in top left corner and hold. It helps to have the cache coords written down and in your hand to compare to. I couldn't remember them without the cheatsheet. It will then show the coordinates as you move. It will show the coords getting bigger as you go west or north. It will show you the accuracy in feet also. I used my Nuvi 1350 to find the first few finds until I bought my Garmin 60CSx.

We have found lots of caches with a Nuvi....We have a garmin 550t & still we use the Nuvi to hunt down caches. Once you figure out how to use it, it will get you to the cache. The biggest draw back is the lack of a compass, so set the it to "North Up" rather than "Track Up" when you get close to the cache & carry a compass.

I too am using a Nuvi 1300. I like using it. I have no problems except the ones I have created myself. I was told that I had to, or should, remove the favorites and leave just the custom POIs. But, with doing the removal of the favorites, I have deleted the chest icons on my map. Does anyone know how to reinstall them onto my map. I have the information on my POIs, but I can't just drive now and see one coming up. Any ideas? Once you figure out your 1300, you'll like it.

Welcome to Geocaching rpian!

We too have a Garmin Nuvi but a 250. We have found geocaches with it, using Custom POIs in the Pedestrian mode. But our GPS are better in the trees.

As with any GPS, when we get to 20 - 50 feet, we start looking for something different. Stick with low difficulty/terrain and small/regular/large containers to start. Have a look at the Groundspeak store for some examples of cache containers. The Cool Cache Containers forum discussion may surprise you.

Also the car GPS is NOT accurate enough to use to hide a geocache. You should borrow a GPS to check your coordinates before you submit your cache to Geocaching.

We are looking forward to hearing about your first find.

Enjoy your Geocaching Adventures!

I too am using a Nuvi 1300. I like using it. I have no problems except the ones I have created myself. I was told that I had to, or should, remove the favorites and leave just the custom POIs. But, with doing the removal of the favorites, I have deleted the chest icons on my map. Does anyone know how to reinstall them onto my map. I have the information on my POIs, but I can't just drive now and see one coming up. Any ideas? Once you figure out your 1300, you'll like it.

To reinstall caches in your favorites, I use gsak & in the pull down menu under the GPS button, select send waypoints. You can also set up your proximity alert for caches too, It will ding when you get with in what ever distance you set it too.