Who Are These Forest Defenders

jbaker33

I have been geocaching for over a year and have about 8 caches hidden in both urban and rural areas. Today i signed on to check out my caches only to get 3 finds from the same person named ForestDenders. Usually it is great to see that someone has found your cache, but not today when there was a link instead of a comment bringing me to the forest defenders blog page. Apparently these people (and i assume it is people due to all the finds in a matter of a day) are set on trashing everyone's geocaches in order to save the wilderness. Little do they know the good that comes from geocaching with cache in trash out, and how this hobby can bring people to some of the most amazing places. I just want to know if anyone else has been hit by these vandals of caching, and what we can do to stop them? I haven't checked on my "selected" caches yet, but i fear that they have been trashed by these people. I am also setting up a blog of my own that will be lashing out against these "Forest defenders" that show all the benefits that come from geocaching, and how it does done more good then harms over the past 10 years. Lets put a stop this this so we can continue exploring this amazing world, and all that it has to show us. below is the link to my blog entitled cache it don't trash it, follow me and lets stop this.

My blog

Edited by jbaker33

I have been geocaching for over a year and have about 8 caches hidden in both urban and rural areas. Today i signed on to check out my caches only to get 3 finds from the same person named ForestDenders. Usually it is great to see that someone has found your cache, but not today when there was a link instead of a comment bringing me to the forest defenders blog page. Apparently these people (and i assume it is people due to all the finds in a matter of a day) are set on trashing everyone's geocaches in order to save the wilderness. Little do they know the good that comes from geocaching with cache in trash out, and how this hobby can bring people to some of the most amazing places. I just want to know if anyone else has been hit by these vandals of caching, and what we can do to stop them? I haven't checked on my "selected" caches yet, but i fear that they have been trashed by these people. I am also setting up a blog of my own that will be lashing out against these "Forest defenders" that show all the benefits that come from geocaching, and how it does done more good then harms over the past 10 years. Lets put a stop this this so we can continue exploring this amazing world, and all that it has to show us. below is the link to my blog entitled cache it don't trash it, follow me and lets stop this.

My blog

Same thing happened to me today. 2 of my caches were targeted by ForestDefnders. I have not checked my caches yet but there is a lot of other threads on this in this forum.

My blog

My blog

Same here. Got a couple hate responses to my hides, one of which is in a parking lot, not what I'd call a fragile environment. Assuming these are not the result of direct visits by Forest or they'd be more selective with their posts. Annoying but not a risk to the caches, methinks.

The "real" forest defender was discussed extensively here last spring in these forums, and the Atlasquest.com letterboxing forums, and operates in the Pacific NW. Their blog (which hasn't been posted to in months) is here

They have stolen way more letterboxes than Geocaches, It is most likely a woman acting alone, seeing as she messed up and posted a pic of her hand with long feminine fingernails holding up a cache. Their (her) blog got the attention of the Everett, Washington Herald, which did an article about them Memorial Day weekend. And the last post to the blog is in fact them gloating over said article on June 1, 2010.

The current logging bot attacker most surely just used their name and link to their blog.