LPC Skirt -- ?

cwgrizz

OK, I know that LPC's are a bore to many. In most cases the LPC's in Walmart parking lots are just the hohum driveup/walkup type caches without much trouble with muggles, etc, BUT.............

What are some ploys for getting to the cache on a busy street (auto and pedestrian muggles 24/7)? I am sure that the cache I am looking for is in a LPC which is located right next to the curb for the main thoroughfare. I haven't found a casual way or become gutsy enough to lift the ground level skirt to find the cache in the midst of all of the muggle traffic.

What are your tricks? Tying your shoe, dropping a stack of paper work, etc?

TIA

CW Grizz

Meh. Just safely park your car and go grab the cache. The people passing by will only get a quick glimpse of you bc they'll be driving by. Most probably won't notice. Those that do probably won't care. Those that care won't do anything about it. Those that stop and questions you (unlikely) you can just tell them about geocaching.

No big whoop. :laughing:

Or you can wear an orange vest, hardhat, carry a clip board and pretend to be checking the LP. But that's mostly unnecessary.

OK, I know that LPC's are a bore to many. In most cases the LPC's in Walmart parking lots are just the hohum driveup/walkup type caches without much trouble with muggles, etc, BUT.............

What are some ploys for getting to the cache on a busy street (auto and pedestrian muggles 24/7)? I am sure that the cache I am looking for is in a LPC which is located right next to the curb for the main thoroughfare. I haven't found a casual way or become gutsy enough to lift the ground level skirt to find the cache in the midst of all of the muggle traffic.

TIA

CW Grizz

I just walk up to the LPC, lift up the metal skirt, grab the micro, and walk back to my car. I don't stand there. I walk back and get in my car to open it and sign it. Once I have put the log back, I seal the micro, get out of my car and walk back to the LPC to put it back.

I've done this in a parking lot surrounded by people and nobody cares.

The key is to act normal. Act normal before, during and after. Most people don't care. the only people who might notice would be the police. If they (or anyone else) stops you and asks you what you are doing - tell the truth. Tell them that you are using a handheld GPS device to track down "treasure boxes" known as caches. Explain that it is harmless and just for fun. It is far better to stop and educate them, then to ignore them and get in your car and leave.

Here is a great video by "Head Hard Hat" that goes into it.

TIA

CW Grizz

I just walk up to the LPC, lift up the metal skirt, grab the micro, and walk back to my car. I don't stand there. I walk back and get in my car to open it and sign it. Once I have put the log back, I seal the micro, get out of my car and walk back to the LPC to put it back.

I've done this in a parking lot surrounded by people and nobody cares.

The key is to act normal. Act normal before, during and after. Most people don't care. the only people who might notice would be the police. If they (or anyone else) stops you and asks you what you are doing - tell the truth. Tell them that you are using a handheld GPS device to track down "treasure boxes" known as caches. Explain that it is harmless and just for fun. It is far better to stop and educate them, then to ignore them and get in your car and leave.

Here is a great video by "Head Hard Hat" that goes into it.

Also...arm yourself with pamphlets on geocaching that you can hand-out if you are stopped. You can find them by searching online.

Also...most caches bigger than micro are encouraged to include a note inside the cache about what the cache is for. Hopefully this will help muggles not destroy it out of malice or fear. Caches should be marked as clearly as possible to identify what they are.

Thanks for all of the replies. I have done just what you say about walking up, getting it, walking away & signing log, and then putting it back. All of the LPC are on 2'-3' high concrete pedestals. No bending over, just walk up and retrieve. The one that intimidates me has the skirt at ground level. It seems that it would be pretty obvious that something strange is going on when retrieving this one. Ha! I guess I will just have to "Go for it". Ha! I know some have used the bicycle chain repair ploy at this one, but I do not have a bicycle. Ha! One day I will figure out something. Ha! Again Thanks to all who have replied and any who may add to this.

Thanks for all of the replies. I have done just what you say about walking up, getting it, walking away & signing log, and then putting it back. All of the LPC are on 2'-3' high concrete pedestals. No bending over, just walk up and retrieve. The one that intimidates me has the skirt at ground level. It seems that it would be pretty obvious that something strange is going on when retrieving this one. Ha! I guess I will just have to "Go for it". Ha! I know some have used the bicycle chain repair ploy at this one, but I do not have a bicycle. Ha! One day I will figure out something. Ha! Again Thanks to all who have replied and any who may add to this.

This is a good scenario for taking a clipboard with you. It will look as though you are there doing an inspection. When we are in an area full of muggles it works for us. We have never had anyone ask us what we are doing.

This goes against everything your Mother ever taught you: you are not special, nobody cares about you. Strangers are too busy with their own affairs to bother with yours.

You look much more suspicuous if you first fiddle with your bike/shoe and suddenly reach for the lamp post. Just walk to it and lift the base as if you had a reason to be there and knew what you were doing.

Good luck.