creating a cache for the first time! HELP

runeski

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to geocaching and I'd like to hide my own cache. I dont have a GPS yet though. I do have a car GPS unit but I dont think its precise enough to give exact coordinates?

My question is, is there a way to place a cache without a gps? Or is my magellan car gps good enough? Please help, I have the box ready to go I just want to make sure I do it correctly! Thanks

Read the Cache Listing Requirements and Guidelines.

Really read them, then read them again.

The part that applies to hiding caches is:

You as the owner of the cache must visit the site and obtain the coordinates with a GPS. GPS usage is an essential element of geocaching. Therefore, although it is possible to find a cache without a GPS, the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions.

You could ask any local cachers to give you a hand getting the coordinates, or if they will let you borrow a proper GPS.

Good Luck with the hide! :laughing:

Please, please save yourself a lot of frustrations and be sure to read and REALLY understand the Cache Listing Guidelines / Requirements.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#guide

You as the owner of the cache must visit the site and obtain the coordinates with a GPS. GPS usage is an essential element of geocaching. Therefore, although it is possible to find a cache without a GPS, the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions.

Your GPS unit likely is accurate enough if you are able to 1) mark a waypoint and 2) get the coordinates from that waypoint.

Be sure that you have a clear, unobstructed view of the sky when you mark the waypoint. Be sure to let the GPS settle for a while at the site to get a good reading. You might also take several waypoints approaching the location from different directions and then average the waypoints.

Please do it right!

Nothing is more frustrating than trying to find a cache, only to learn that the coordinates are 70 feet off!

If you cannot determine the coordinates with a reliable GPSr, and cannot find anyone to help you, then you shouldn't place the cache.

If you're determined to place one anyway, try letterboxing instead. Letterboxes have been around for many years, before GPS were created.

If you DO decide to place a cache, are you committed to maintain it for YEARS?

Im a grown man Ill figure it out on my own, thanks for the WARM WELCOME!

Don´t take things like that too hard. They are just used to a lot of questions, and rather than not reading them or replying to them, they spew their "google it" and "check the rules".

Depending on where you are placing the cache, getting the cordinate from e.g. Google Earth can be much more accurate than by GPSr. In urban areas you can get within one or 2 feet. In more wooded areas it is often possible to take a bearing and distance from some noticible feature (big tree, path etc.) and find the cord from that.

If you place it in a very overgrown area a good hint is preferable.

Good luck with your cache (and the "sport"; don´t give up) :laughing:

Which is solid advice. He asked a question and received two excellent answers.

No, actually he asked how to place a cache without a GPSr (or if his car nav was good enough) and was told to read and double-read "rules" and responsibilities of being a cache owner. Not exactly the same as "two excellent answers" imo. Only post #3 slightly answers the OP question about weither his car nav can be used or not.

And you´re saying "google it" is "solid advice" ?!? :laughing:

Ok Ok I got it

Im a grown man Ill figure it out on my own, thanks for the WARM WELCOME!

No need for anyone to reply anymore Im all set. TY

Do not take things too personally here. People responding to your question do not know you.

You are not the only person reading these responses. They maybe did not help you, but there are others who may have learned something. There are people out there who do not read instructions and need to be reminded to do so. There are people out there who get sloppy co-ords when hiding a cache.

Good luck.

I'm confused, where was Google mentioned in any of the answers to the OP's question?

I don´t want to take this off topic, but I told OP that he shouldn´t get upset by people telling to e.g. google or check rules, rather than helping, to which briansnat said that he got solid advice. Solid advice is not telling to read the "rules" (guidelines) and then read them again, especially not when the problem was technical/practical and not about the "rules". And the tone and way of greeting a new member of the community (if he hasn´t been scared away already) does not exactly fit the forum guidelines of: "courteous, polite and respectful."

Edited by Niemela

I don´t want to take this off topic, but I told OP that he shouldn´t get upset by people telling to e.g. google or check rules, rather than helping, to which briansnat said that he got solid advice. Solid advice is not telling to read the "rules" (guidelines) and then read them again, especially not when the problem was technical/practical and not about the "rules". And the tone and way of greeting a new member of the community (if he hasn´t been scared away already) does not exactly fit the forum guidelines of: "courteous, polite and respectful."

Hi Niemela,

I don't want to speak for Briansnat but I didn't read his reply as meaning that telling people to google would be solid advice. Maybe it was open to two ways of reading it.

As for the OP's questions, I think they were quite well answered in the first 2 answers (ok, the third answer did have a bit of a 'tone' to it).

I am always amazed at how many folk there are who are willing (and quick, usually within a few minutes) to answer questions on this section.

Very often (though not necessarily in this case) it is the same question over and over which the OP could find the answer to with a 10 second scroll down the page or a 5 minute reading of the guidelines.

Yet there is always someone willing to give an answer, and very rarely do you see people pointed to a thread from the day before asking the same question.

And rarely do I see people referred to the sticky FAQ section which answer most of the common questions which are asked.

Sometimes pointing people to the guidelines (a quote and a link) is a good way of dealing with a newbie question, as it gives people the answer to their question but also tells people that there are resources out there to help them with any other questions they may have. Who knows, they may read some more of the guidelines once they have followed the link.

Given the number of answers given by so many different people, it is to the credit of the folk on this forum that some take the time to answer again and again and again.

If a few of those answers can come across as being a bit 'exasperated' then that is perhaps understandable. After all, this is not a company helpdesk manned by people who are being paid to provide a customer service.

I don't want to speak for Briansnat but I didn't read his reply as meaning that telling people to google would be solid advice. Maybe it was open to two ways of reading it.

The OP asked about whether it was OK to hide a cache without a GPS and the first two posters directed him to the section of the guidelines that addressed that question. They did so in a respectful and polite manner. It is sometimes astounding what people will take offense at.

Which is solid advice. He asked a question and received two excellent answers.

No, actually he asked how to place a cache without a GPSr (or if his car nav was good enough) and was told to read and double-read "rules" and responsibilities of being a cache owner. Not exactly the same as "two excellent answers" imo. Only post #3 slightly answers the OP question about weither his car nav can be used or not.

And you´re saying "google it" is "solid advice" ?!? :unsure:

My response said "Your GPS unit likely is accurate enough if you are able to 1) mark a waypoint and 2) get the coordinates from that waypoint.

Be sure that you have a clear, unobstructed view of the sky when you mark the waypoint. Be sure to let the GPS settle for a while at the site to get a good reading. You might also take several waypoints approaching the location from different directions and then average the waypoints."

Only the OP can answer the bolded part since the device model was not stated.