There should be a rule!

cwgrizz

This came up in our local area recently. Two new caches were placed in an area by the same individual. One cache was found, but the coords were off by almost 1/4 mile. The only reason the cache was found was from the description of the area for the cache hide. The second cache has not been found (I think 7 DNF's) and the CO has not made any comments or done anything to rectify the bad coords. Looking on the CO's profile he has NOT FOUND ANY CACHES! I know in the guidelines it is SUGGESTED that you find a good number of caches before placing any new ones. Why doesn't Geocaching adopt a rule that a cache cannot be hidden by anyone (actually approved) unless they have found xx number of caches first? Seems like this might prevent the above. Also the cache container is pretty large for the area it was hidden in and in all reality probably will not last long. Ha!

Do any of you have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

CWGRIZZ

Just because the cache owner of record has zero finds should not be a reason not to allow the caches to be hid. The way to deal with these caches is with a Needs Archive log. No need for new rules.

The next thing you can bring up and demand new rules for are reviewers. Most of them only have a hand full of finds at best, probably most of these are events. Do you really believe that?

Edited by jholly

The issue is being addressed in the feedback forum

Keep in mind that the account may be new to place caches by a person, group or organization. Don't assume that it's a newbie cacher.

I just went to the feedback forum and found the discussion quite interesting. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Your second statement I meant to include in my original post, because I do realize that for various reasons a new account may be established. Thanks for adding that in for clarification to others who may Not realize that just because the profile shows 0 finds that it does not necessarily mean they don't have any.

I also realize that some people are more willing to read the rules/guidelines than others before hiding a cache. Hey that is the nature of we people of the animal kingdom. :anicute: Really I guess there is not a real good way to overcome this, unless they had to pass a test on the rules/guidelines before hiding a cache. :)

I will admit that I am relatively new to geocaching, but have been using a GPSr for years to set waypoints and navigate. I guess there is not really any way to test a person in scenarios like this for their knowledge or actual capabilities. Maybe I jumped the gun in ASKING the "why not require" question. It was something that had just come up in my local area and tweaked my interest.

Again thanks for your reply and the one of jholly.

Happy Caching,

CWGRIZZ