monumented?

dukeofurl01

I think it is supposed to mean the date when the point was placed and/or measured.

In practice, just about anything goes for the early entries because these records were typed in from old file cards. Generally the first entry was labeled "Monumented". If somehow the typist labeled another entry the same way, it probably wasn't caught since they were focusing on getting the important stuff right.

QE2442 HISTORY - Date Condition Recov. By

QE2442 HISTORY - 1908 MONUMENTED CGS

QE2442 HISTORY - 1934 MONUMENTED ORGS

QE2442 HISTORY - 1952 MONUMENTED CGS

QE2442

Here's an intersection station that has been 'MONUMENTED' (shouldn't that be OBSERVED?) three times. And apparently there is a stray chunk of brass near by that has been erroneously 'LOGGED' many times. kayakbird

I think it is supposed to mean the date when the point was placed and/or measured.

In practice, just about anything goes for the early entries because these records were typed in from old file cards. Generally the first entry was labeled "Monumented". If somehow the typist labeled another entry the same way, it probably wasn't caught since they were focusing on getting the important stuff right.

Sometimes you get excited to see an old mark monumented 1897, and the description says it is a standard bronze disk placed on the mountain peak accessed by helicopter. You realize there was a typo and the date was actually 1987, not 1897.

Sometimes you get excited to see an old mark monumented 1897, and the description says it is a standard bronze disk placed on the mountain peak accessed by helicopter. You realize there was a typo and the date was actually 1987, not 1897.

I know what you mean, Jim. We've got one around here like that, that when I use GSAK to filter all the NGS benchmarks by date, it shows up as being monumented in 1896, but is most likely a typo for 1968. The disk designation is A 1896, which may also be where the typo is coming from too. I'll forget about it from time to time, then get excited about it when I see how close it is to me, until I finally realize what it is......again. :)

CP1381