Registering a new cache

Ampresearch

Hello all.

First post so far but have been doing aLOT of lurking. really enjoying this hobby and plan to head into it full steam.

I love finding caches but I am now ready to hide some. we have ALOT of what I consider normaly style hides in our area and i want to add a few that are a bit more creative. nothing against a regular hide but to me its much more fun to find a cache that looks like its part of the enviroment as opposed to being placed on the enviroment. (hope that made sence)

anyways my question is simple. I own a metal and wook working shop and we have spent the last two weeks building three caches. i want to know the following.

how to i decide the difficulty?

and

how long does it take to have a cache approved and made active?

i got all the info for them already and plan to subbmit them tonight. just wondering the above two things.

thanks in advance for any and all info. my wife and I are greatly looking forward to our future in geocaching.

Hello all.

First post so far but have been doing aLOT of lurking. really enjoying this hobby and plan to head into it full steam.

I love finding caches but I am now ready to hide some. we have ALOT of what I consider normaly style hides in our area and i want to add a few that are a bit more creative. nothing against a regular hide but to me its much more fun to find a cache that looks like its part of the enviroment as opposed to being placed on the enviroment. (hope that made sence)

anyways my question is simple. I own a metal and wook working shop and we have spent the last two weeks building three caches. i want to know the following.

how to i decide the difficulty?

and

how long does it take to have a cache approved and made active?

i got all the info for them already and plan to subbmit them tonight. just wondering the above two things.

thanks in advance for any and all info. my wife and I are greatly looking forward to our future in geocaching.

When you go to register your cache, there will be a link in the D/T area to get a better idea what your cache should be. Its about 10 questions, so not too long to get an answer. As for cache approval, it can take a day to a couple weeks... Heck I have 37 that have been waiting for a while.. anyway, average review i get from other cachers is about 72 hours. Happy caching!

As Tank and Spaz pointed out there is a link on the submission form to a page that has some questions. Fill them out and it will give you a suggestion as to how to rate it. It will be close for most places.

As for how long, the rule of thumb is up to 72 hours. I had one published in less than 5 minutes. I submitted it when the reviewer was reviewing and since I had hid several I knew all of the tricks to filling out the form in a way to make it easy on the reviewer to publish. I also have a reputation with our reviewers for working with them and staying with in the guidelines so they trust my cache placements.

Here is the first trick in getting your cache published quickly, read the guidelines! Then read them again. Understand the guidelines. If you don't or you are not sure about one, email the reviewer and ask. Once you do, make sure your cache is placed within those boundaries.

The other trick is to look for anything that may cause a question and address it in a note to the reviewer on the cache page. Is it on private property and you have special permission? Put that in there. Is it near some railroad tracks but is definitely on public property? Put that in there. As much info you can give them will help them publish it quickly. I had a cache I hid on a section of railroad track that was abandoned in 1985. I didn't realize Google Maps still showed it attached to the Railroad. It had been severed for 20 years. The reviewer did not know that so he turned it down. When I re-enabled it I explained all of this and it was published right away. Later I hid on on the public sidewalk on a roadway going over a viaduct that was a historic rail yard behind the old Union Station. I made sure to let the reviewer know in the reviewer noyes that it was not on RR property. It was published immediately.

If a reviewer does find an issue with one of your caches, don't take it personalty. Ask them for their guidance in making it a hide that will work. Work with them, not against them. Remember, they are cachers also. They want to publish caches not deny them!