What is with the buried cars and metal?

I have been lucky to see some interesting places in my own neighborhood I never knew existed. It seems that hidden in a thin layer of trees surrounding the many parks where caches are hidden in Illinois, I find buried machinery, metal, cars, etc that look like they have been there for 30 or more years. The amount I find in my city has me thinking the city knows about this and almost planned the parks around these monuments. Am I the only one who finds this on a consistant basis and why? Thanks.

I have been lucky to see some interesting places in my own neighborhood I never knew existed. It seems that hidden in a thin layer of trees surrounding the many parks where caches are hidden in Illinois, I find buried machinery, metal, cars, etc that look like they have been there for 30 or more years. The amount I find in my city has me thinking the city knows about this and almost planned the parks around these monuments. Am I the only one who finds this on a consistant basis and why? Thanks.

You should look at the "Hungry Trees" thread.

I run into this sort of thing a lot, and I think it proves two things: Geocaching takes me to places I would never have visited otherwise, and those same out-of-the-way places attract morons who seem to think the wilds are just convenient dumping grounds for old, large stuff. Apparently, it's easier and cheaper for them to load an old refrigerator into the back of a truck and dump it in the woods than it is to drive the fridge to the nearest landfill and pay to dump it there.

I'll never forget the time I was hiking down a beautiful trail in some deep woods in the Hocking Hills region of Ohio when I looked down the steep hillside to my left and spotted an entire junkyard worth of old car parts and appliances scattered among the trees. Sort of took the charm out of the place. I try to practice CITO whenever I can, but that mess would have taken a large group of people and some heavy machinery to tackle.

I've also found some neat caches hidden near old relics in the woods (this one comes to mind), but a little of that goes a long way.

--Larry

Most park property has been donated or sold by farmers, etc. Drive through any rural farm area and see the junk lying around. You'll get the picture.
That would be my answer, as well. We tend to forget that garbage pickup is a very recent service, at least in rural America. The ravine where you knew you were never going to have to plow became the family dump. It wasn't littering... it was dumping the trash. You probably had a burn pit for what would burn. When it filled up. you'd dig a new one.

What always amazes where I live is the number of old cars that cachers seem to find, that have ended up in ravines or on the steep sides of hills, off the beaten path, surrounded by trees, and the like. How did they get there, but even more to the point, how did someone track them down?

It's amazing what you can find in the hills of Southern California. How anyone can get a 1973 Oldsmobile Delta 88 a half mile up a single track trail is beyond my imagination.

Its also easy to forget that sometimes that patch of woods where we saw the old bullet-riddled, rusted hulk of a Packer may once have been a farm field or pasture without a tree in sight. Thirty years can make for a pretty thick patch of woods.

Most of what you see around here are people that have driven off of a high road and ended up in a spot that no one would have expected, or joy riding kids going for the extreme ride, or disposing of the evidence.