CITO Mystery Cache?

So I was checking on one of my caches I noticed a lot of glass on the path back to it. It is along the a river that is very popular with boaters and campers to it is not surprising that there is a lot out there from years gone by. So I grabbed a doggie cleanup bag and proceeded to fill it. I've now done this 4 times along this stretch of beach and it amazes me how much I find each time. Today I had an idea: How about a CITO mystery cache? Here is how I imagine it to work:

I post a mystery cache at some random local place. I put up the usual "CACHE IS NOT AT POSTED COORDINATES" message at the top of the page. I then request potential finders to cache out (at a minimum) a small bag of garbage from wherever they are out and about...not necessarily while caching but just from wherever. I will then have them email me a picture of said garbage and then I'll give them the coords for the location of the actual physical cache for them to find and log. I would also encourage the finders to post the picture of their trash along with their log online.

The negatives: Obviously this is an ALR and might not allowable under the rules as I understand them. I would hope for some leniency from the local reviewer on that matter. Also there is the other obvious fact that it would be very easy to fake a bag of garbage just to get the coords and the smiley, but I figure anyone willing to cheat themselves is beyond hope and not to worry about it. Also some jerk could send something nasty in the email instead of a picture of garbage cached out. I'd have to create a sock puppet email account specifically for this cache. Something like citocache@gmail.com should work.

The positives: This would be a great way to clean up the area. I figure that if I get only one person to pick up a bag of trash then it will be worth it. And it might encourage more folks practice the CITO philosophy.

I'd greatly appreciate comments, thoughts and suggestions both pro and con. I'm just throwing this against the wall to see if it sticks.

Thanks,

Team Dennis

Just my 2cents, but I think they'd consider it an ALR. However, if you really want to encourage CITO in the area you could:

- make it a multi with stages that would route you near the areas that need CITO

- encourage CITO on the cache page...maybe even put it in the title. I have found that most geocachers will practice cache in trash out when given the chance

- add CITO bags to you geocache. I've seen several CITO kits that have a grocery bag or trash bag and latex or plastics gloves in a film canister with a cute label on it (CITO and team name)

Good luck and thanks for cleaning up!

It's 100% ALR with the "email me" kicker, and not publishable.

I wouldn't even suggest emailing your reviewer, but you could try an email to contact@geocaching.com - per the listing guidelines http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

If you have a novel type of cache that "pushes the envelope" to some degree, then it is best to contact your local reviewer and/or Groundspeak before placing and reporting it on the Geocaching.com web site. The guidelines should address most situations, but Groundspeak administrators and reviewers are always interested in new ideas.

Frankly, I'd suggest that you simply host a CITO event.

Another way to "sort of" get to this, would be to post a CITO challenge cache - this would require that the cacher have attended X number of CITOs. That number should not exceed the number that you have attended. It cannot mention or require hosting a CITO.