Any Do It Yourself Bugs?

South_Cache

After reading the logs in The Travel Bug Graveyard it is really depressing. Not to think of the money invested buying tags.

I have been thinking of creating Hitch Hikers with a laminated card attached requesting an email from the person finding it. I can print the cards and get them laminated very cheaply.

I guess I am asking if you found one would you be willing to send me an email? Tell me where you found it and such as that? Thanks.

Fair winds, Capn Skully

quote:
Originally posted by Capn_Skully:

I guess I am asking if you found one would you be willing to send me an email? Tell me where you found it and such as that? Thanks.

Fair winds, Capn Skully

I've found some where people just wanted an email telling them where their thing was later. It worked, but harder to follow, plus there's no way for anyone else to "Watch" the bug, since it has no official tag.

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

quote:

Fair winds, Capn Skully

I would, and I have. I found HH Biker Bill twice and reported him both times. Unfortuantly icon_frown.gif, between my first spotting and my last (a period of about 2-3 months) the owner seemed to have lost interest and stopped updating the page or responding to email... icon_frown.gif

Edit:

The other thing I just thought of is that the-site-whos-name-we-may-not-say has a forum set up for just HHs. That might be easier than requesting emails be sent? just direct people to post sightings in the forum there?? icon_confused.gif

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:

After reading the logs in http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=29352 it is really depressing. Not to think of the money invested buying tags.

I have been thinking of creating Hitch Hikers with a laminated card attached requesting an email from the person finding it. I can print the cards and get them laminated very cheaply.

Fair winds, Capn Skully

Sure I'd be willing to do that. I recently released a couple of psudo-travel bugs....It's based loosely on phototag....I've placed a disposable camera into a ziplock bag with the original box it came in (which is stamped and addressed back to me) and a sheet explaining the reason for this....basically I want 'em to travel from cache to cache, with no specific goal, and have the person who currently has it take a pic of themselves or something interesting or whatever, and make a log of which pic is their's on the back of the instruction sheet...then mail the camera and the sheet back to me.

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

quote:
Sure I'd be willing to do that. I recently released a couple of psudo-travel bugs....It's based loosely on http://www.phototag.org....I've placed a disposable camera into a ziplock bag with the original box it came in (which is stamped and addressed back to me) and a sheet explaining the reason for this....basically I want 'em to travel from cache to cache, with no specific goal, and have the person who currently has it take a pic of themselves or something interesting or whatever, and make a log of which pic is their's on the back of the instruction sheet...then mail the camera and the sheet back to me.

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

I really like it!

Fair winds, Capn Skully

quote:

quote:
Sure I'd be willing to do that. I recently released a couple of psudo-travel bugs....It's based loosely on http://www.phototag.org....I've placed a disposable camera into a ziplock bag with the original box it came in (which is stamped and addressed back to me) and a sheet explaining the reason for this....basically I want 'em to travel from cache to cache, with no specific goal, and have the person who currently has it take a pic of themselves or something interesting or whatever, and make a log of which pic is their's on the back of the instruction sheet...then mail the camera and the sheet back to me.

Mr. 0

I really like it!

Fair winds, Capn Skully

It's not an original idea really, someone else on here did the same thing but affixed a TB tag to it. I just decided to do the same minus the TB tag. icon_cool.gifThread where I got the idea

Mr. 0

[This message was edited by Mr. 0 on January 15, 2003 at 01:00 PM.]

quote:

A friend of mine did that with Shutterbug and Buttershug. I've got one of them and am still waiting for the other one to make its way down from Northern California. The guy who has it now is the owner of a Travel Bug Hospice, designed to pick up and repair travel bugs. I think he's waiting for another camera to continue the journey. After it makes it down here, I'll probably be getting new cameras and sending them back to Seamus, the original owner.

These were actual Travel bug tags attached to the disposable camera.

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

(Note: Second use of the term "De Geo Vu"!!)

I have found geo cards and geochips that I have left in other caches that have beat me to the next one. Its kind of wierd at first, but then its fun to see where they go.

I number them and put an email address on them. They tend to get back to me about as well as the more costly travel bugs.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.