Updating Coordinates

kygeocache

Is there a way to update or change the coordinates of a cache? I had to move a cache several hundred feet from the original location. The only way I see to updated the coordinates is with a log. I would much rather updated the coordinates on the actual cache page.

If you post an "update coordinates" log, the coordinates of the cache page will be changed. But you might need the help of your reviewer to make this big a move. I'm not sure how far is too far to do it yourself.

Edited by BoMS

Is there a way to update or change the coordinates of a cache? I had to move a cache several hundred feet from the original location. The only way I see to updated the coordinates is with a log. I would much rather updated the coordinates on the actual cache page.

No, once a cache is published, it can only be moved by posting a log. That acts as a permanent audit record, and a copy is automatically sent to your local reviewer, to ensure against any shenanigans (like trying to move it more that the allowed distance by using multiple move logs).

Yes, there is a limit of a few hundred feet. Otherwise just email the reviewer with the cache code, the old coords and the new ones. Then give them a couple of days.

The limit is 528 ft (0.1 mi) for "do it yourself". Beyond that requires a reviewer to do it.

However, this function was intended to allow correction of input errors or to adjust the positioning of a cache a small distance. Although it does allow you to move a cache up to that distance, anything more than a few feet or so actually becomes a new caching experience and should be done by archiving the old cache and creating a new one.

But if you are merely moving it from one tree to the next, you can do it yourself as mentioned above.

Just remember, as people seem to always forget this:

You do NOT enter the new coords in the text of your log entry. Rather, you must scroll down to where it says "Add a coordinate to this log"... Then enter the new coords into those fields. It is this mandatory action that actually applies the change to the database.