GPS reception under tree cover

chase'em

I am thinking of purchasing a Garmin Map60 CSX and would be interested to hear from fellow geocachers that use one. In particularly how well they perform under heavy tree cover, or down in gorges as a lot of caches involve that situation. I currently use a Map 60CS which tends to drop the birds in heavy tree cover.

Down in narrow gorges and canyons the sats might lineup behind each other, this can result in a wrong track and wrong position, also because another side might be covered by your body, in these places a good place for the gps is on your shoulder.

The good thing is, if you go there again, most of the time the error is nearly identical.

Tree cover depends, if there is much water, the gps might be less accurate.

Anyway a 60 model is almost the best there is, BUT it's older so maybe you should also consider a 62 model or Oregon.

The 60 CSx will be significantly better in tree cover than the 60 CS.

Not so much better in a gorge. If you're getting no position with the 60 CS, you might get a really bad one with the 60 CSx. If you're getting a bad position with the 60 CS, you'll probably still get a bad one with 60 CSx. Maybe a little better, possibly worse.

I've never lost lock in a GPS 60, or 60c, when under aspen/pine/fir mix, but I get a good lock/fix while in the open, usually for at least 10 min, before going in the trees, and keeping the unit above my head level, at all times, even with a 60x unit.

Next best is mounted in a cocoa container on top of a 7 or 8 ft pole. More serious for trail or difficult places, is to add an external antenna on a 7.5 in ground plane, on top of the pole, keeping the plane as level as one can while moving. Gilsson says that the ground plane helps by 20 to 30%, and my test agree. I used old broom handles, tool clamps, and a cocoa container, custom fit with tin snips, and the ground plane from a round tin cookie/goodie, that measured 7.5 in (19cm) in diameter. Fun, poor boy way to try to get the best that the receiver and available Sats have to offer.

You'll be quite impressed with the 60CSx.

I've used a 60Cx for a couple of thousand caches now. I don't think I've ever lost the satellites under heavy tree cover, not even in a canyon*, with this unit.

In my favorite Irish pub, way at the back where I can't even see any windows, the 60Cx will somehow get a satellite lock. Bloody amazing.

(* Such as the incredibly tight Grotto Canyon near Canmore, AB.)

Edited by Viajero Perdido