Hide and Seek TB--Something New?

OzGuff

That is very innovative plus an interesting twist to the Travel Bug. I do hope the bug travels far and many enjoy this side game. icon_cool.gif

My only negative: People can not log using the simple method, what are those dopey people going to do when they encounter this? icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway cool idea and good luck!

" When you come to a fork in the road....Take it " - Yogi Berra

Well, this TB is literally sitting on my desk right now. There, I just picked it up and put it back down. I work with Pur24Karet and she just came back from her lunchbreak with it, came into my office and said "Look how cool! A Hide and Seek travel bug! Isn't that neat?" What a small world. You haven't even had a chance to log it into the cache she took it out of yet! Funny.

I was thinking that some folks might not want to go to the trouble of finding the actual bug if there is no additional logging credit available. I might be wrong. It just seems like I would want to log a find on the cache I found the TB logbook in, and then log a cache find for the bug itself. Like a "locationless TB". If you put the bug itself in a second standard cache, it might be difficult to keep it from getting removed by a different cacher prematurely. Perhaps there is a way TPTB at Geocaching.com would let you make a locationless (or mobile) bug cache (even though there is a neverending moratorium on standard locationless caches). This seems like a really cool version of the typical bug. I like it a lot, and it seems like you ought to be able to log two caches for finding both parts of it. If it seems like a good idea to you, you should email Honeychile (our local cache approver) and see if she would consider approving something like that.

"Do the thing you fear most and the death of fear is certain." -Mark Twain

Originally posted by MtnLion:

Well, this TB is literally sitting on my desk right now. There, I just picked it up and put it back down. I work with Pur24Karet and she just came back from her lunchbreak with it, came into my office and said "Look how cool! A Hide and Seek travel bug! Isn't that neat?" What a small world. You haven't even had a chance to log it into the cache she took it out of yet! Funny.

I was thinking that some folks might not want to go to the trouble of finding the actual bug if there is no additional logging credit available. I might be wrong. It just seems like I would want to log a find on the cache I found the TB logbook in, and then log a cache find for the bug itself. Like a "locationless TB". If you put the bug itself in a second standard cache, it might be difficult to keep it from getting removed by a different cacher prematurely. Perhaps there is a way TPTB at Geocaching.com would let you make a locationless (or mobile) bug cache (even though there is a neverending moratorium on standard locationless caches). This seems like a really cool version of the typical bug. I like it a lot, and it seems like you ought to be able to log two caches for finding both parts of it. If it seems like a good idea to you, you should email Honeychile (our local cache approver) and see if she would consider approving something like that.

Sorry about the huge "quote"--am at work and the browser here is unforgiving. I am blown away at how quickly the Hide & Seek TB has been found! Did your friend take long to find the keybox, and were my directions adequate?

I understand that the extra hunt might not appeal to folks if no "find" is registered. Of course, if they don't do the extra looking they don't find the extra TB, as the TB is in the hidden keybox.

I will contact Honeychile to see about your suggestions. Sounds good to me! If so I will make sure your friend gets a retroactive smiley face!

OzGuff

quote:
Originally posted by OzGuff:

Sorry about the huge "quote"--am at work and the browser here is unforgiving. I am blown away at how quickly the Hide & Seek TB has been found! Did your friend take long to find the keybox, and were my directions adequate?

I understand that the extra hunt might not appeal to folks if no "find" is registered. Of course, if they don't do the extra looking they don't find the extra TB, as the TB is in the hidden keybox.

I will contact Honeychile to see about your suggestions. Sounds good to me! If so I will make sure your friend gets a retroactive smiley face!

OzGuff

I was quite surprized to see the bug in person myself!

I believe she said it took her about 15 minutes to find. She said the directions you left only specified a distance and heading from the cache, and wished there had been more, but she found it fairly quickly, so I'd say it was adequate. She thought the hide and seek idea was really a good one.

Well, good luck with the idea, I'll be watching the bug and this thread to see if it develops.

Thanks for being a Geocache inventor!

Originally posted by K-9Cacher:

To me, this sounds like a really cool idea. But to the average Joe-Geocacher, it might be a little complex...

I am hoping that there will be a self-screening process going on. If a geocacher reads the instructions and finds them too complex and/or too much work, hopefully they will leave everything for the next above-average Joe-Geocacher (or Josephine-Geocacher).

I have sent an e-mail to Honeychile (our local cache approver) about the possibility of turning this into a cache. I will keep the TB forum informed...

Thanks to all for the feedback!

OzGuff

Hey OzGuff,

Take a look at this cache: GCD118. It is a "moving cache". I haven't seen one before, and I stumbled upon it in another thread. Looks like there is a precedent for creating a moving cache out of the actual bug that can be logged to and then rehidden. The logbook can be hidden in a standard cache and the moving cache (bug) can be hidden nearby. Then the cacher who finds both caches can log both separately.

Might make it easier for Honeychile to approve such a thing since it has been done before (if there was any question about it).

Though I guess you wouldn't really have a travel bug anymore if the magnetic key holder was changed into a moving microcache with a cache page online...hmmm... well, just another angle...

Hi there, guys. The travelbug idea as Oz has posted it is interesting, but fairly complicated.

Regarding traveling caches, I'm sorry but they are no longer permitted (review the guidelines) without special permission from Groundspeak.com. You will still see some out there because Jeremy's stance is nearly always to grandfather caches when the guidelines change.

Besides, the idea of a travel bug hidden inside a legitimately placed, well-maintained cache works much better than a moving cache, which often goes out of the control of an owner. It's not good for the sport or the control of the cache if it's planted someplace off-limits, too close to another cache, or in a poorly chosen spot.

Most of the workable moving caches I've seen operate within a single large park or similar area. So it's just a question of moving it a bit. That sounds like more fun to me than seeking something that's always moving out of reach. It's also easier on the environment, I think, too, and prevents "scorched earth" searches that some of us may have seen (or participated in).

I have one bug with a storage area, almost like a mini cache (it's http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=15409, but the items in the "thing" are rarely mentioned and seem unimportant. Maybe I should've specified something interesting.

Cache on!

honeychile

Honeychile:

Thanks for looking into this! I understand that TPTB have decided that moving caches are verboten; no problems there! I had not considered this as an option until MtnLion suggested giving the Seeker additional credit for finding the hidden keybox.

I hope folks go out there and enjoy Hide and Seek!! On second thought I probably should have called it Seek and Hide...

OzGuff

[This message was edited by OzGuff on October 22, 2003 at 08:39 AM.]