Dakota 20

Apologies if this has been posted before, I couldn't find anything.

Been out today with my brand new Dakota 20. We used to use a Vista HCx with a PDA for paperless.

Not too bad a day, but some problems. The Owners Manual is useless for explaining the various menus.

When you find a cache and use the LOG ATTEMPT button and then FOUND, it then gives you an option to ADD COMMENT. I used that but where are the comments? I can't find any menu to retrieve the comments?

Second problem, the Vista used to store the found caches in the calendar in order of finding. It seems the Dakota stores found caches in relation to distance from current position. What a useless system. Why would any cacher want to know that? We all need to know the order we find our caches. Can this be changed?

Apart from that all seems well, but I'll be annoyed if I have to use a pen and paper to record the order I find caches and where on earth do those' Comments' disappear to???

Berni

While I haven't tried it with our Dakota, you should be able to plug the unit into your computer and log your finds directly to geocache.com without having to re-enter the info. I haven't tried it yet because my fingers are too fat and it takes me longer to try and type the notes into the unit than it takes me to jot something down to enter later when I log my finds.

I just checked my profile page and there is a section on the right hand side of the page that says "Field Notes". Click on the access field notes and in the Garmin section there is a click here in the section that will take you to where to download the notes. It doesn't list the Dakota but the Dakota is just a smaller version of the Oregon. Hope this helps.

While I haven't tried it with our Dakota, you should be able to plug the unit into your computer and log your finds directly to geocache.com without having to re-enter the info. I haven't tried it yet because my fingers are too fat and it takes me longer to try and type the notes into the unit than it takes me to jot something down to enter later when I log my finds.

I just checked my profile page and there is a section on the right hand side of the page that says "Field Notes". Click on the access field notes and in the Garmin section there is a click here in the section that will take you to where to download the notes. It doesn't list the Dakota but the Dakota is just a smaller version of the Oregon. Hope this helps.

Well this is part of the answer. I did all the stuff on the website and it gave me a list of the caches found, in order. What it hasn't done is show me the few notes I made about dropping TBs, which caches required a NM Log for any reason etc. But the info is there because the same file that I uploaded to the website, if I open it with Notepad has the Comments Logs in it. So for some reason GC.com is not displaying it.

Once you've got the list of found caches in Geocaching.com, click on the compose log button, your notes should be there waiting for you.

Sure were :P

How I wish this info had been in that little booklet they call an 'Owner's manual'. Now wouldn't that be a novel idea.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Berni

If you need to see your "found" data before you get them uploaded to geocaching.com, you can always hook up with your computer and use your favorite text editor to review the contents of the file "geocache_visits.txt" in the Garmin folder of your device. That's where the log data is being kept.

Well this is part of the answer. I did all the stuff on the website and it gave me a list of the caches found, in order. What it hasn't done is show me the few notes I made about dropping TBs, which caches required a NM Log for any reason etc. But the info is there because the same file that I uploaded to the website, if I open it with Notepad has the Comments Logs in it. So for some reason GC.com is not displaying it.

I have a Dakota 20 and have been trying to figure out the same thing. I can not even figure out how to upload the found ones to the geocaching web site. Do you mind providing us with the directions on how to upload the file to geocaching?

Thanks for your time.

I have a Dakota 20 and have been trying to figure out the same thing. I can not even figure out how to upload the found ones to the geocaching web site. Do you mind providing us with the directions on how to upload the file to geocaching?

Thanks for your time.

Sorry I posted so soon. I found another thread with the directions. I will try it. Thanks.