Delorme PN-20 ?

Is this unit still as slow as everybody complains about since the last firmware update? And how well does it do getting you to GZ with no electronic compass?

Just bought one on ebay about 3 weeks ago. So far it's as fast as my old Garmin GPS V and also just as accurate. It's led me right to GZ every time.

Is this unit still as slow as everybody complains about since the last firmware update? And how well does it do getting you to GZ with no electronic compass?

Just bought one on ebay about 3 weeks ago. So far it's as fast as my old Garmin GPS V and also just as accurate. It's led me right to GZ every time.

The slowness most people refer to is the map refresh speed when you're using raster imagery (aerial photography, for example). It's strictly a hardware issue - the processor just can't go fast enough at anything faster than walking, maybe bicycle speeds to keep up with moving the imagery.

An electronic compass is pointless except when you're standing still. When you're moving, your GPS readings are used to determine bearing & course.

Thank you all for taking the time to help me out with my GPSr decision. I ended up going with a Dakota 10 that I picked up at Eastern Mountain Sports for $150 on clearence. With no date limit on their return policy and very friendly staff even if it turns out not to be the unit for me I'm confident I can get my money back. From all my indepth research in the past few days the general opinion seems to be that Garmin brand products are the only way to go and the feature offer by this unit for paperless caching seems to be heavily favored as well. I havent had a chance to sit and play with it and give it a go in the field yet but once I do I'll be sure and post a detailed review on geocaching's website inthe hopes that it will help out other new cachers with their GPS decision. Thank you all again and good hunting!