Move the "My Finds" box

Walts Hunting

On a somewhat regular basis people ask (over in the layperson's forum) how to get the My Finds query. I am wondering if the problem could be resolved by placing the My Finds button (and a shorter dialog box, condensing a little bit) up higher so that it would be viewed when the page if first loaded might help out there.

Maybe folks should simply scroll down the page before posting a thread like "wher can i downlaod th efinds querie?????"

I think it's easy enough to find that box - no need to change it.

If that was true then we wouldn't get all the questions. I agree with your basic that people don't do enough due diligence before asking a question but there is no solution.

I tend to agree. In general, many of their link placements are puzzling to me. For example on my profile page (the one I see when I log in, not the public one), why is "your GPS" listed first above all else? This is the least useful item to me. Same with Geocaching with Twitter. I'd venture a guess that far more people generate a my finds query than geocache with twtter, so why not make it at least as prominent?

That said, UI design is tough. If they make it more prominent on the "your profile" page, there could be unintended consequences (like people clicking it without really knowing what they just did). One small very easy improvement IMO, would be to rename the button. Sure, people know what a queue is, but it's kind of a techie term. Why not name the button to help explain exactly what it does, e.g. "Generate My Finds Pocket Query" or something like that?