Found a "missing" cache in Pipestem Resort WV

This cache was 6 years old, and the log had only been signed by one other person, a non-geocacher who found it by accident while hiking! But the cache is not posted on geocaching.com!

We're fairly new to geocaching, and we've mainly only been caching locally, and while camping. However, when we were at Pipestem Resort State Park last month camping, we decided to try and get some of the "Pipestem" caches. Well, the coords on geocaching.com are only the trailhead coords, and to get the actual coords you have to go to the Nature Center. Pretty simple, as they have them posted on the building door for easy access when they are closed. There are 7 "lost caches" which correspond to geocaching.com caches, and 3 "missing caches" which 1 corresponds to a geocaching.com cache, but the other 2 don't. (We didn't realize this until we got back to log them!)

So we're out hikin'/cachin' and can't resist the Farley Loop trail: experienced hikers only, old log cabin at the top, and a geocache .25 miles from the cabin. Cool! Let's go! Beautiful hike, lots of great pics, the cabin was awesome, but the cache was a real pain! We had basically given up, and started to pick up a little trash in the area, when DaddyCowLicker pulls out this turquoise thermos barely visible from an old landslide. It's the cache!!! The listed coods are written on it in Sharpie!

But the log looks brand new! Only one other cacher, err scratch that, person had ever signed it before, and they found it by accident while on a hike! So we signed the log, left some swag and placed it back, this time covering it with sticks.

The coords don't match up with anything on geocaching.com that I can find. Is there anything I can do about it? It's a really nice hike. I'd love to see more people finding this cache, and the coords are correctly posted at Pipestem, but not on geocaching.com Any ideas?

I have pics of the coord at Pipestem, but don't want to post them out of respect for Pipestem's policies. I could type in the coords of this cache if it is OK/would help solve the mystery. I also have pics of the cache, and cache site for personal reference.

Any suggestions? :D

Thanks,

Renee (MommaCowLicker)

If the park has chosen to place their own geocaches that are not listed at geocaching.com, they probably have reasons for doing it like that.

I think you're right. When I spoke to the Naturalist before we found this one, he indicated that they are trying to control initial placement, and potential damage to the landscape. All of their caches are 50' (I think that is the right) from the trails, but for the most part are placed by individuals. My pics of this one don't show any type of owner name, but does reference geocaching.com in the cache note. Maybe they were placed by Pipestem. I went back to the Nature Center (the next morning) before we left, but unfortunately it was the Naturalist's day off and we were leaving that day. I didn't know anybody would place a cache and not publish it on geocaching.com. I learn something everyday! Thanks!

I was just hoping more people could enjoy this cache too. I'm assuming that it's not visited because it's not being tracked on geocaching.com. Would it be worth trying to get in touch with Pipestem in regards to it? (I think I know who to talk to.) I'm wondering if they even realize that nobody is visiting it? Perhaps it was placed by/under the direction of previous persons at Pipestem?

Could be a cache listed on another website. Could be a cache that was submitted to this website, but rejected for one reason or another. You have the approximate coordinates of it?

I emailed the coords to you directly instead of posting. Those same coords were also written on the container. (I took pics of both for reference) However there was a note in the cache referencing geocaching.com. As I am currently looking at a pic of that note, it says to "...stop by the Pipestem Nature Center and let us know about your adventure. We have directions there to 4 unlisted caches here at Pipestem." The only other date in the log is from 2004, so it must have been printed up before then. It doesn't say that this is supposed to be one of the unlisted caches, and it looks like there are now only 3 "missing" caches listed on the coord sheet at Pipestem, and 1 of those has the same coords as another 1 posted on geocaching.com. So that only leaves 2 "missing" if that was the original intention??

You've all got me thinking now! I appreciate it! I didn't know there was other sites that tracked geocaches. And I never thought that there could be "secret" ones either that weren't published. Or even rejected caches. Other than too close together (definitely not the case here) why would they be rejected?

I think I should try to get in touch with the Naturalist at Pipestem again. I wonder if they would consider placing this cache on geocaching.com, as it appears that their original intentions of 4 "missing" caches may not be working out as planned.

We're new at this and just trying to figure it all out! Thanks for your help!

Even though Pipestem is about 700 air miles from my home in NH I have done 6 of their caches. I probably don't still have the sheet I got listing the actual coordinates of the caches, but because of limited time there were some I just couldn't do. The one in question here was one of them so I never would have noticed that it wasn't listed on this site.

I plugged in the coords you supplied me and there are no unpublished or archived caches in the area. There were a few puzzles and multis within a mile and a half but they all had more than one find.

If this isn't listed on another site then I guess it was placed by a cacher who was hit by a bus before he got to

submit it.

Might not hurt to contact the park office about it. We want to make sure there isn't any geo-litter out there. I can't imagine any form of caches at Pipestem that have only a few visits as those all get hit pretty good. The State Parks Admin are pretty good about scouting locations and staying on top of the locations of park caches...

Charleston Gazette Link from last Friday

What I'm wondering is if someone placed a cache (possibly a vacationing cacher), submitted it for review and got shot down either because a) they were vacationing and don't live nearby to maintain the cache or :) they didn't get WV State Park approval permit for placement {most likely}. So instead of picking up the container they just left it and the other log entry happened to be someone who also stumbled upon it.

I cache all of WV, but don't know when I'll be back to Pipestem again. So I would suggest contacting the park naturalist. If you could give me the coordinates or a good detailed description I can try to locate it and CITO it out of there next time I'm headed down to Princeton.

Might not hurt to contact the park office about it. We want to make sure there isn't any geo-litter out there. I can't imagine any form of caches at Pipestem that have only a few visits as those all get hit pretty good. The State Parks Admin are pretty good about scouting locations and staying on top of the locations of park caches...

Charleston Gazette Link from last Friday

What I'm wondering is if someone placed a cache (possibly a vacationing cacher), submitted it for review and got shot down either because a) they were vacationing and don't live nearby to maintain the cache or :) they didn't get WV State Park approval permit for placement {most likely}. So instead of picking up the container they just left it and the other log entry happened to be someone who also stumbled upon it.

I cache all of WV, but don't know when I'll be back to Pipestem again. So I would suggest contacting the park naturalist. If you could give me the coordinates or a good detailed description I can try to locate it and CITO it out of there next time I'm headed down to Princeton.

No, it's not cache litter please don't remove it. It is the "Farley Ridge Cache" at the coords posted at the Nature Center at Pipestem, it's just not posted on geocaching.com.

We're just relatively new to geocaching, and I didn't expect to find caches that weren't part of geocaching.com. It is a legitimate cache for Pipestem, however it's just not getting much traffic because 1. It was buried in a landslide. 2. It's not posted on geocaching.com.

It's a great cache and if you do get back to the Pipestem area, I recommend it for anyone who likes caches with a challenging hike, even though you don't get credit for it on geocaching.com. The coords for it are posted on the Pipestem Nature Center door.

Thanks everybody for clearing that up for me!

-Renee