North Devon

I'm off to North Devon for a week in August, I've done a PQ and plotted them all in Memory Map.

I can see the obvious, the figure of eight 100+ Way Down West series, and the 2 other series of about 30 caches nearby.

I'm not necessarily going to yomp around "for the numbers" (although I may do!), and caches elsewhere seem to be dotted about in nice locations.

So.....any recommendations for caches that I need to put top of the list?

I'm staying on the western edge of Exmoor, so I can easily access all the north Devon coast and Exmoor

There are some really lovely caches around North Devon and they are even better if you are not too concerned about the numbers. All of the caches around Lynton and Lynmouth are top notch, with Exmoor's First, Watersmeet, Rockford treasure and where Exmoor meets the sea being some of my favorite caches.

You can't really go wrong with any of the caches within Exmoor national park, they are all good simply due to the location.

On the coast around Saunton I recommend Braunton Panorama, Arrakis, Nothing to crow about and not a ruined view. Further west Kipling Tors Lookout, Alphabet chain L and Toblerone are excellent.

I'm really going to miss north devon....

Philip

Hey there,

We're doing the same thing as you very soon, so I've been having a look around and trying to plan a few to do. We're going to do the 3 obvious trails. I've also found 2 interesting caches that require you to go into caves in Exmoor park GC1AGGD and (a 5/5 cache!) and GC1ZGRB which could make for a really good adventure.

There's a series of puzzle caches that are quite fun to solve. We've solved them all now so will probably go and investigate. All of them are pretty satisfying puzzle classics and fun to solve: GC1D5QM.

Finally I've got my eye on 2 night caches in close proximity to each other so we will try and hit them both on the same night: GC1AVV3 and GC202G4.

When are you visiting? If you're going after us then I can tell you any that we find that are worth visiting, or if you're going after us we would appreciate a few pointers if you find any good 'uns! :D

Cheers,

Cass and Andy

When are you visiting? If you're going after us then I can tell you any that we find that are worth visiting, or if you're going after us we would appreciate a few pointers if you find any good 'uns! :D

I'll be there from 18th August, and staying for 8 nights

Thanks for the recommendations so far people!

we just got back from down there, the hills were hillier than we thought and minitext (12 years old) did struggle with many including a few dnf's where we had to abandon because she just couldnt do it (we did it as a family) we also did a cave one but found the wrong one and no cache, but im going to go back at some point and re attempt it myself as it looks worth while.

Great fun, but very hard work, now looking for places for september.

oh and if you are looking for somewhere to stay down there (camping) look up hillslake farm which is run by the people who use to run cloud farm, cheap place, nice views, excellent shower facilities and camp fires allowed.

Edited by smstext

I'm surprised (And quite disappointed :o ) that we didn't bump into smstext during our stay as we were there at the same time. I've just finished my 4 blog posts for our adventures away in Devon. I said I'd PM you, but there are loads of details and pictures in the blog posts that I think will help you.

In summary, the best two caches were the Saunton Pink Erratic earth cache, and the 'Look into the light' mine cache (The one smstext refers to that they unfortunately didn't get to). We did the Below the Belt and top half of the Way Down West trails, a few in Ilfracombe, and the Puzzle Classics series, plus a few here and there. Details are on the blog here: http://geocass.wordpress.com. Hope it helps!

Enjoy your stay, hope you get better weather than we did!!!

I'm surprised (And quite disappointed :o ) that we didn't bump into smstext during our stay as we were there at the same time. I've just finished my 4 blog posts for our adventures away in Devon. I said I'd PM you, but there are loads of details and pictures in the blog posts that I think will help you.

In summary, the best two caches were the Saunton Pink Erratic earth cache, and the 'Look into the light' mine cache (The one smstext refers to that they unfortunately didn't get to). We did the Below the Belt and top half of the Way Down West trails, a few in Ilfracombe, and the Puzzle Classics series, plus a few here and there. Details are on the blog here: http://geocass.wordpress.com. Hope it helps!

Enjoy your stay, hope you get better weather than we did!!!

Thanks, I'll take a look!